Changing 6-speed to 5 for AHRMA 100 cc

Started by Jim A, December 31, 2007, 01:39:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim A

If the no 6-speed rule is not changed is there a somewhat uncomplicated way to block off a gear to make it a 5-speed?
Also, if this is done will it be acceptable under the AHRMA rules?
Just curious,

Jim A
Jim A

Ron

Jim,
John came up with an easy trick.
If you look at the counter shaft sprocket, the selector rod travels back and forth internally. The proper length insert will prvent you from shifting into 6th gear.
I don't know if AMHRA will have a problem with this, but I don't see why they would.
RonW

brian kirby

I would get a ruling from someone on the Vintage MX Rules and Eligibility committee before I started blocking out 6th gear.

Brian

'72 Six Day (on loan from Ernie P.)
Brian

firstturn

It would take someone with a lot of knowledge of Sachs engines to know if you were using a 6B engine and blocking one gear and I don't think Doug Wilfors will be doing any tech inspections at any races.  Also, all you have to do is have Doug build you a 5 speed B engine and that way you meet the rules and have the engine you need.

Happy New Year

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

Ron

Seems easy enough to raise the back wheel, spin it around and see how many shifts it makes.

firstturn

Ron,
  Maybe you aren't following the discussion.  We are discussing taking a 6 speed B engine and making it a 5 Speed.  Brian stated the following;
"I would get a ruling from someone on the Vintage MX Rules and Eligibility committee before I started blocking out 6th gear."

I was just saying it would take a very knowledgeable person to know if you were using a 6 speed engine and making it a 5 speed.  I hope that clears it up.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

Lew Mayer

You might want to get a ruling from James Smith or Dane Janiec. They are the Tech Chiefs for East and West respectively.

Lew Mayer
Lew Mayer

Larry Perkins

They will probably be watching for this because there is a reason besides fair they came up with this rule.  But if the thing doesn't shift 6 times and it does not say 6 on the engine tag I bet they won't catch it.  Last year I took a bike twice through tech at 2 different races that had no kill button, not even a fakey, and it was not noticed.  I took another one through that had no end cap and no silencer guts and this too was not noticed.  Let it be a Penton with 4.75 inches of travel in the back and they will catch it, though.  The way I read the rules even if you have a 5 speed motor in a chassis that had a 6 speed it is illegal but I say cheat AHRMA if you can because they are CHEATING YOU!

Larry P

firstturn

Larry,
  That is called "enhancing you race bike".  I hope your Baja Project is coming together.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

Larry Perkins

Ron,

Yes it is starting to come together.  Pro Circuit is going to build our race motor and Precision Concepts is going to do our suspension.  The best news is Honda has accepted us as one of the teams to use their Johnny Campbell Racing pits.  Thanks to you and Tim Morton on the inside track on this one.  Got a Happy New Year e-mail from Johnny that made my chest swell up.:D  As always, Thanks Brother!  There are so many logistics to take care of.  It is as hard as the races will be.  So many things-race radios, sattelite phones, lodging, Mexican insurance, etc etc.  Here is to the New Year and the Greatest Adventure yet.  There is a special Honda part in my fanny pack that will travel the distance so you will be with us even if you won't go South of the border into the land that time forgot.;)

Larry P

firstturn

Thanks Larry and I am Proud that the Honda Partnership will work. You are certaninly deserving and I am happy to help.  Just remember the words of one Great Man.....

Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even through checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.
                        Theodore Roosevelt
                             1858-1919

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

brian kirby

Quotequote:Originally posted by firstturn

Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even through checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.
                        Theodore Roosevelt
                             1858-1919

Ron Carbaugh

That is one of my favorite quotes Ron, and one I try to live by. Its better to try and fail than to be afraid to fail.

Larry, good luck with your ride and be careful down there.

Brian

'72 Six Day (on loan from Ernie P.)
Brian

john durrill

Folks this just in from Fred
6 speeds

All,

The word just came down. 6 Speeds will be legal in the 100 class!!! So
tell all your Penton friends to "bring it!"

The wording will be changed on the web site in a couple of days.

Paul... will you loan me a bike now?

Fred "900" Guidi