Double-leading brake modification '79-'80 KTM?

Started by Big Mac, January 14, 2008, 02:41:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Mac

Any one with advice on adapting a double-action front brake setup from an '83-'84 KTM to the earlier models?

I've pretty well figured out the axle modification, spacers, etc needed to get the '84 wheel & backing plate onto the earlier 38mm forks (or to try to use the '80 wheel and the '84 backing plate together). It would be useful to hear about or see a pic of the modification to the backing plate to add the needed brake arm. There's not a lot of room to work with, and not a convenient place to add a stud in there.

I've heard there's a ready-fit axle that will adapt to the early fork/late wheel, but haven't run across specifics. Looks like sleeving the stock axle larger and milling some off the right-side clamp area is easiest. Thanks.

Jon McLean
Lake Grove, OR
Jon McLean
Lake Grove, OR

KTM495CH

BigMac, I've a few photographs how it can be done.
Don't have an idea how to post pictures here, so PM me your e-mail address and I will send you the photographs.

Regards, Tom

KTM 495/81
KTM 495/82, Works bike from Kes Van der Ven
KTM 495/84
KTM 500/85
KTM 495/81
KTM 495/82, Works bike from Kes Van der Ven
KTM 495/84
KTM 500/85

paul

Hey, I bought a 175 Jack Piner that had a conical yamaha hub/brake laced up to a D.I.D rim. It fit the 175 great but when I went to put it on my 78 250 it is going to need the axel turned down on a lathe so the shoulder that goes into the fork leg can center the wheel properly. The bearings had to be changed also.
 You can put just about any wheel on your bike, the problem will be centering the wheel and mounting the brake stay. The euro bikes use a mount that is easy as it has a bolt to the fork leg and a bolt to the hub. Extra axels are all around so modifying one should not be a prob. You will need to think about cable length also. Good luck, let us know how she stops.

Big Mac

Thanks Tom, I've sent you a mssg. Look forward to pics. The axle problem is that the '84 wheel used a 15mm diameter axle that threads into the left fork leg, while the '80 used a longer 12mm axle that took a nut on the outside of the left leg. A longer 15mm axle, with the right side barrel at 20mm and the left side turned down to 12mm and then threaded, would do the trick but be quite a project.

Jon McLean
Lake Grove, OR
Jon McLean
Lake Grove, OR