Started by HondaHarry, January 22, 2008, 03:56:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HondaHarry

Hello everyone, finally got a few minutes to type up a little message
I have been lurking for a few weeks learning what I can about the Penton Motorcycle, I picked up a '73 Jackpiner 175 from a close freind a few weeks back, and hope to bring it back to life. Im sure I will have alot of questions in the near future.  
  I think that picture works?  if not i'll try again later.
Thanks. HH

slvrbrdfxr

Welcome Harry !! You came to the right place for sure to get all the info and then some about the Penton motorcycles. The 73 Piner is a great bike !! I have one too and just love riding it. Don't hesitate to ask questions here because this is a great bunch of guys who are always willing to share their knowledge. Once again welcome aboard !!
Dave McCullough

Lew Mayer

Just remmember Harry. If you can't ride a Penton, "Ride Red".:D ;)  But you knew that.

Lew Mayer
Lew Mayer

paul

Hey Yall, Welcome Harry....sorry,that other word is not in my vocabulary. Orange, Orange, I ride Orange. Love my electric start 520 MXC. I thought I was gonna have to give up big bores till this came out.
 H.Harry, I may have some 175 odds and ends as I just parted one last month. email if you need anything,TooTallPaul

HondaHarry

Thanks for the warm welcome guys.  wish that was a better picture...
the bike has been fun to play with and so far has been in excellent condition, it is really grimy, but everything I clean up on it shines up like new.  After doing some searches on the forums I think it has a Hi-Point Fuel tank on it, but I have yet to see a picture of one, its aluminum, and has a flip up gas cap, and the Penton decal is unlike any other I have come across? (PENTON in large green letters, with a broken up look to them on a white background.) the bike is 95% complete and seems to be in good shape, but the coil is missing, and my basic testing of the stator and ignition pickup check out, but I guess that dosent mean a thing when it comes to Motoplat Ignitions, would it be wise to try and locate a coil to see if I can get spark, or just get PVL for it? Im sure it would fire right up if I could get spark. The clutch action is super smooth, the brakes are solid, the throttle was stuck to the bars, but I got that free'd up and it works now. (levers and throttle are Magura)  looking thru the ports reveals a piston with no scarring and I can still see crosshatch on the cylinder. Compression feels like its decent, but I havent put a gauge on it yet. (What PSI is considered acceptable??) I want to at least fire it up and see if it goes thru all of the gears before I tear down the motor to reseal it and replace the crank bearings. It also has a K&N Airfilter, that was actually clean when I removed it, I think someone gave this bike a complete service before it got parked for over 18 years or more...
The trans oil looked like it was changed yesterday, spotless and not a speck of metal in it anywhere. I think the only non-original part on the bike are the K&N Products Handlebars, the fenders are Preston Petty, and the front still has most of the warranty sticker on it.

The HondaHarry name comes from my first clean bike I purchased and gave me the desire to restore and or purchase excellent condition bikes to start from, It is a 1985 Honda ATC 250R, in very good condition, I then purchased as many new OEM parts for it that I could get my hands on and almost made it too nice to ride. lol  I always liked threewheelers and am happy to have one that I can be proud of, the addiction only got worse after that as I began to purchase more and gather parts, I searched high and low for a 1986 Kawasaki Tecate, and stumbled on one that was mislisted in the local classifieds. and had been for sale for 3 months, I called, made an offer and brought it home, this one is a little more difficult to find parts for than a Honda, but im getting there.  I have a Yamaha Tri-Z threewheeler as well, that is waiting for its day in the shop.  Like I said I like 3 Wheelers. :)   So for now I have WAY too many projects and I own many two wheeled toys as well, but this penton should keep me busy, I dont plan on doing a full resto, just clean and replace parts as needed, I like how it has some character and looks like it was meant to be ridden, that could all change tomorrow, but thats my MO for now. Thanks again for the welcome, and I apologoze for the novel. HH