Michelin Knobbys

Started by 83husky250, March 27, 2008, 08:54:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

83husky250

I have an opportunity to purchase a pair of Michelin M-12 knobbies at a good price. I've never used Michelins before but I remember a few years back KTM used them as OEM tires.  I'll just be using them for trail riding and would like to replace my existing tires with something long lasting and with good all around performance.  Would these tires be a good choice?  Thanks.  By the way, even if I don't have a Penton, I'll be in Amherst in September!

brian kirby

Tires are like religion, everybody thinks their choice is the best. I know lots of guys that rave about S12s but I hate them. They are too soft and they "wiggle" around on anything but soft terrain. The M12s are worse, they are too far the other way and dont work well in anything but hard terrain. Again, that is my personal opinion, I know lots of people that swear by S12s, but I have never heard anyone say they like the M12s.

My opinion is if you are looking for an all around tire and not a terrain specific tire, there is no other choice but the Pirelli MT16s. They work as well as S12s in soft and FAR outperform them in anything harder than that. They also wear like iron.

Brian
Brian

Dwight Rudder

BUT, You must have a 175 or bigger Penton to use them on.  The New Thailand made Michelins are not holding up and people are looking for alternatives.  I love the MT16s for my bigger Vintage bikes. I use them on my modern bikes.  I suggest the front for all our vintage bikes.  On 100 - 125cc machines I use the Cheng Shin C183A rear or the C755 . The first is a Barum copy and the second is a Metezler copy.  
IMO,
DR

Jim A

I second the Michelins, especially the S12s. The M12 front is a great tire too, the rear not so much. I haven't bought any lately so can't comment on any reduction in quality. They come stock on all GasGas bikes. The MT16 looks like a great tire for vintage bikes, unfortunately they are too big for 100 and 125s, at least for the rear.

Jim A
Jim A

Jeff Reid

Michelin has fixed the compound issue with Thai made tires and all Michelin off road tires being shipped are back to the quality we've come to expect from Michelin if not even better. Many prefer to use the M12 front with an S12 rear as for some the S12 front is too aggresive. The S12 front is great for really soft terrain while the S12 rear works across a broader range of terrain. The M12 rear works great in hard rocks or deep mud- I know those are too extremes but if you look at the M12 rear tread design it will make sense. A 120/90-18 Michelin rear tire is a perfect size for most of the vintage bikes we're riding.

Jeff Reid
Jeff Reid

Jeff Reid

The Metzler Uni Cross is available again and looks like the old Metzlers that came on these bikes and it comes in 120/90-18 which should be good for the 175 and bigger bikes.

Jeff Reid
Jeff Reid

pketchum

I swear by my Michelin S12's and have been running them front/back for about 3 years now.  They really have an agressive bite to them which I find keeps my front end from sliding while cornering.

"Phace Phirst" Phil
(nickname earned on worthless Cheng Shins)
Phast Phil
Moderator, Hodaka Owners Group
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Hodaka

Dwight Rudder

Quotequote:Originally posted by Jeff Reid

The Metzler Uni Cross is available again and looks like the old Metzlers that came on these bikes and it comes in 120/90-18 which should be good for the 175 and bigger bikes.

Jeff Reid

Correct but it is basically the same tire as the Pirelli MT16 110/100X18.

Dwight Rudder

Quotequote:Originally posted by pketchum

I swear by my Michelin S12's and have been running them front/back for about 3 years now.  They really have an agressive bite to them which I find keeps my front end from sliding while cornering.

"Phace Phirst" Phil
(nickname earned on worthless Cheng Shins)

Not that I am a Chen Shin fan but for the smaller bikes they work.  I have found that small vintage bikes need a bit of wheel spin off the corners to get into the power band.  The problem I have found with the Michelins is actually too much traction.  Hard to slide around a corner under controled slide.  On the plus side, is that the Pirelli , Metzeler, and both Chen Shins actually look vintage.