Crank stuffing epoxy

Started by Gavin Housh, February 05, 2008, 07:21:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gavin Housh

I have been cutting some cork pieces out to fit the Sachs A type crank webs and am now trying to decide on an epoxy to hold it all togeather and then finish with a smooth layer on top to keep out the fuel and such. Any suggestions on what brand and type of epoxy that will work well for this application. John durrill mentioned just filling with Devcon aluminum putty. That stuff looks good but I found it to be expensive and comes in 1 pound or bigger containers. Seems like you would have a lot left over. Also thought about useing JB weld but that was as far as I got, just thought about it. Any help wopuld be appreciated. Gavin

linglewn

Gavin,
In the past, we have converted many T-cranks from McCulloch and West Bend Go-Kart engines to full circle by filling the open volume on the non-weighted side of the crank with Hysol epoxy after sand blasting. We never had a failure even when run at 12K RPM plus. We also used hollow epoxy balls (rather than cork) to reduce the added weight and, therefore, balance. Good Luck.

Nelson Lingle
73 Jackpiner
71 DKW 125
Nelson Lingle
73 Jackpiner
74 Jackpiner
71 DKW 125

firstturn

Listen to Nelson...he was around and was on the leading edge of karting engine development.  I think he was living in Texas at the time.;)

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

linglewn

That's right Ron. The Texas boys had to try harder to outrun the California crowd in the 60's.

Nelson Lingle
73 Jackpiner
71 DKW 125
Nelson Lingle
73 Jackpiner
74 Jackpiner
71 DKW 125

Gavin Housh

Nelson thank you for the leed. Perhaps you could tell me which Hysol product I should look for. It looks as though they have several different epoxy types. I also was intrested in the epoxy balls. What are they and who sells such things? They sound like a good weight and time saver. Thanks again, Gavin.

linglewn

Gavin,
I honestly don't remember the product number of the Hysol epoxy used, but after looking at the Hysol product chart, it looks like 9430 matches the color, cure time, and strength characteristics. The only difference is that I remember the mixture being 2:1 rather than the 4:1 quoted in the chart. Maybe they have changed the formulation in the last 40 years!

Sorry, but I don't remember where we got the hollow balls. They probably came from a vendor in the Houston area. They were approximately .1 inches in diameter and brown in color.

Nelson Lingle
73 Jackpiner
71 DKW 125
Nelson Lingle
73 Jackpiner
74 Jackpiner
71 DKW 125

Merlin

Use Marine-Tex, impervious to fuel, holds super.

Quote: Thomas Jefferson, We are all born ignorant, some work to remain that way.
 Quote:Merlin, "it is impossible to teach those that wish not to be taught".
Quote: Thomas Jefferson, We are all born ignorant, some work to remain that way.
 Quote:Peter Villacaro, \\"it is impossible to teach those that wish not to be taught\\".

paul

JB weld has a product that is gas resistant/fast dry (20 mins) and is sold along with the original at Walmart. I have not tried it yet but am about to on a custom gas valve that I had to make. Will hollar with the result. Likewise, let us know what works, thanks,TTP

hrbay

my machine shop guys swear by the ea934na as a fix for the oops they sometimes have, machines well and is hi temp(300-350 degrees)... it is a little thicker than the ea9394 which has a creamy texture when mixing and flows out or levels more readily. All of these are industrial.

GC
GC

thrownchain

Could some of these products be used for case and cover repairs also??