Lectron AHRMA

Started by paul, February 01, 2008, 11:43:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

paul

Hey Y'all, This question may belong under racing talk but I hope more people in the know can tell me from experience. Does AHRMA allow use of the lectron carb on a 1974 Penton Hare Scrambler for MX and maybe some flat tracking? I would like to race it in the sportmans class but evidently will have to find a good bing or mikuni??. What about my 78 MC5? That has a lectron also. Its my understanding that lectrons were a "factory" carb that came on some Pentons therefore vintage/post vintage legal.Thanks for any help,TTP

brian kirby

Period flat slide carbs like the Lectron are legal in all Post Vintage racing classes. You could race that bike in Historic class with the Lectron, but not the Sportsman Vintage class.

Brian

'72 Six Day (on loan from Ernie P.)
Brian

paul

Yeah, found it and I am not liking what they (AHRMA) say about the 78 model not being like design as the 77. With suspension limits its the same bike. Fact is some people say the 77 had the better forks. Damn sure is a hard way to go in the G.P. class...better keep the Penton tank on huh.TTP

brokenb23

The 78 MC5 frame moved the steering head in 1 degree-footpeg mount moved forward-rear shock mount lowered. Therefore design change. If you can find a longer swingarm You will improve your turning,etc. The Maico guys use a Thor aluminum swingarm on the 78-80  2 inches longer and like the way they handle. I presently race my 77 MC5 250(on occasion) and am presently working on a 78 using the 80 KTM aluminum swingarm. 2 inches longer/ shock mount moved forward /15 inch Ohlins. Also using the 40 mm  KTM front forks. The ultimate test will seeing how it handles the severe whoops at speed. Yes I am planning on using an lectron and maybe a J P Morgen cylinder. OOPS got carried away. The 78 is not really the same bike as the 77.
Again just my thoughts,
Bob Brizzee
77 MC5 250
78 MC5 250 project
82-83 Suzuki RM 250 Full Floater

James

Bob, I'm gonna tell Dave you're posting here on the Penton board:D:D.

Now I'm gonna have to fail your bike at tech:D:D

7" and 4" travel? Hmm-that makes 11" Hey! I can live with that.
7\\" and 4\\" travel? Hmm-that makes 11\\" Hey! I can live with that.

tomale

yes the 76/77 Mc5's are different from the 78 but since I have raced both I feel I can say with some certainty that the 78 is a better bike, The forks are a larger diameter and so they have alot less flex, there may not be that much difference as far as travel but in my mind having forks that work better is always a plus. So yes they really are not the same bike and it is not fair to race a 77 against a 78, Lot of folks seem to get all excited about travel as if that was the most important thing, It is important but the stiffness of the components, ie forks, frame and swingarm are very important too. If it were not then the manufacture would have not spent so much time and money fixing the apparant problem.  If you take a good look at the bikes of that period you will see that the amount of travel did not change that much but fork and swingarm size and stiffness did chance. In real world racing, having the most horsepower is not always a good thing, but handling is...

Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
76' 250 MC5 (orginal owner)74'
250 hare scrambler (project bike)
72'sixday (project bike)
Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

Chakka

Have any of you who have experiance with the MC5 attempted to mate a 1978 swing arm to a 76' or 77' frame? I am wondering what the result would be. From what I have read in the posts the 78 has a different shock mount position and is longer. Curious because I need a swing arm for an MC5 and its a hard item to find.

Chris