Throttle Cable Lengths

Started by Chakka, February 18, 2008, 12:34:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chakka

I have experianced a problem on a Jackpiner I am putting together. It has a Magura trap door throttle and a 30mm Bing. The cable I bought for the bike (labled for this combo) is too long and thus the tiny peg slips from its seat in the carb slide after a few turns of the throttle. I have extended the length of the threaded sections on the carb and the cable. I have even added a threaded length to the throttle body but still no luck. Its like the outer cover of the cable is too short or the inner cable is too long. Any ideas?

Chris

Lew Mayer

Sounds like the wrong cable.

Lew Mayer
Lew Mayer

cubfan1968

Alot of cycle shops have ability to make new cables or maybe do some surgery on your existing cable. I had to have this done when I switched over to a Magura 314 throttle.

Rod Whitman
Omaha, Nebraska
1972 Six Day (Rider)
1972 Six Day (Project)
Rod Whitman
Omaha, Nebraska
1972 Six Day (Rider)
1972 Six Day (Project)

Lew Mayer

I wondered if they didn't sell you one for a 314 by mistake.

Lew Mayer
Lew Mayer

johnnysurf1

i've experienced this same problem on my jackpiner i shortened the cable and it works good for now but i'm looking for a new one

Chakka

John,

How did you shorten your cable? Did you use a crimp or nico press sleeve?
Thanks
Chris

Kip Kern

I cut mine with a die grinder and silver solder a tip on the end.  Mapp Gas and silver solder from Home Depot.  Takes less than 15 minutes

johnnysurf1

i cut it with side cutters a little shorter, then silver soldered the end it works,i've done this to many cables.if you go to your bike shop they have an assortment of sleeves,barrel ends to do this ,just like kip kern did with mapp gas