boot or no boot

Started by Marc Biro, February 21, 2008, 04:11:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marc Biro

What year/years 100 and 125 Penton motorcycles did not come with the rubber cable boot on the Magura throttle assembly. Did some have a spring only about 3" to stiffen the cable at the throttle assembly? I am restoring a 1971 steel tanker, and the gentleman I am restoring it for is adamant that it did not come from the factory with a rubber boot. Also, how about the chrome shock covers. With or without? Just want to be certain!

Thanks guys

Marc Biro

slvrbrdfxr

Marc,
Hope some others will weigh in on this also but here's my two cents. I'd say the 71 ST should have originally come with a Magura throttle assembly and had a square shaped approx 4" long rubber boot on the cable where it meets the throttle housing. The 71 ST should also have had Girling shocks with chrome covers at the top. It's possible that the gentleman that owns the bike could have replaced the stock throttle with an aftermarket unit like you described but not sure.  Hope this helps and good luck with your restore !!
Dave McCullough

Marc Biro

Dave,

Thanks for the input.

That's how I see them now and remember them in 71'.

I hope others will chime in!

marc

firstturn

Marc,
  I have a original 1970 Penton Steeltanker with all original hardware.  It did come with the rubber boot on the throttle and the chrome covers on the shocks.  Two things to note is that bikes that I have bought or pictures I have seen from back in the day did have different shocks.  One of the reasons is the any bike that was really ridden the shock springs would wear out the chrome bells from the inside out.  I have one in my shop like that right now.  As far as the throttle some dealers put the springs on the throttle cable so it would have a shape that would hold rather than just hanging down under the bars and get caught on a bush or what ever.  Anything else I can help with or attempt to help with just let me know.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

Kip Kern

I have had later 69's up with the boot on the Magura throttle assembly.  I have also had 72's 125's and 175's with coverd shocks as on later Steel Tankers.  I think KTM used whatever they had at the time to build bikes.  I have also seen long seats on 69's and the 68 old style airbox tabs welded on the frames still on later model 69's up by the coil mount. I have a 68 now with a spring pin driven through the bars on the top triple clamp and have seen this on many 68's and some early 69's.  Crazy but true!;)

Marc Biro

Thanks Kip and Ron.

marc

VICTOR MONZ

Boot or not to Boot, that is the question.....HMMMM

Hi Marc[8D]

Dennis Jones

Does anyone have one of the square boots they would part with?

Thanks and sorry to be a thread jacker [8]

Dennis Jones
Dennis Jones

Paul Danik

I think that Al has them in his new catalg/newsletter that just went out.

Paul

MCQUILLAN

I bought a 69 and a 70 125 both new. One came with the spring on the throttle end. I think it was the 70 with the spring.

Marc Biro

Paul,

Al has the square one only, no rectangle.

McQuillan, thanks for the reply. That's interesting...

marc

socalmx

Go to the Husky website, I purchased a couple of throttle boots from them a couple of years ago.