Sprocket carriers

Started by Gavin Housh, February 24, 2008, 01:44:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gavin Housh

I have been gathering parts for a 125 that I am building and I was looking at what I will need to get a back wheel togeather when I noticed that the sprocket carrier I have is looking like it is shot. The bearings look to be wobbling around in there bores. After looking at Buehner's parts for wheels on their web site (Thank you Alan and Dale) I noticed that there are two sizes of carrier. Mine is the smaller one and uses two 6004 20x42x12mm bearings. I was thinking that it might be possible to bore out the carrier to accept the larger carrier bearings 6204 20x47x14 for the outer and 6005 25x47x12 for the inner bearing. The snap ring grooves would have to also be remachined because of the larger and one widder bearings (even though Buehner's site lists both small and large bearing sets using 42mm snap rings. A small error that should be brought to thier attention) and I would have to replace the sprocket axle with the larger axle to fit the bearings. The large sprocket axle has a bigger diameter where it meets the outer hub bearing. I'm not sure if the sprocket axle will fit up against the outer bearing in the hub and clear the snap ring that holds it in place. May be I should look for another carrier and not waste the effort? Have any of you guys come up against this problem and tried to upgade to the larger bearing set up? Any help would be appreciated. Gavin Housh