Exhaust Pipe Paint

Started by tlanders, November 12, 2001, 02:11:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tlanders

Is there a "best" paint to use or is the black high temp (1200 Deg F) exhaust paint you can get at Autozone or O'Reillys the stuff to use. I have a completely rusted pipe that I am going to sand blast and paint. Should there be a high temp primer under the black paint. Should the paint be glossy or matt? Thanks for your help

Big Bob

I,ve used the eastwood high temp paint with great results.Click on //www.eastwoodcompany.com, they will send you a free catalog. They have the primer and some awesome high temp paint.

metalkfab

All the lit. shows glossy .

dennis foley

i use plastic kote flat black high temp, availibe at all auto parts stores. i dont use any primer. after the paint dries take a rag a buff the pipe with it, the results are nice, ive done this now for twenty years.

john durrill

Teddy.
The Eastwood stuff will handle a lot higher temps. and should hold up on the head pipe a lot longer.Use there tec line and ask which paint would be better. Dont think anyone makes a primer that will hold up to high temp.
I sold them and don't remember about the gloss or flat black. Either would do but the gloss will clean up better. It would not hold as much of the dirt scum that lets a pipe look so dingy
John D.

Edited by - JOHN DURRILL on 11/12/2001  8:04:43 PM

tlanders

Thanks for all the input, what a great group of people you are. Can't wait to see the results!! Teddy

Big Bob

I,ve used the eastwood high temp paint with great results.Click on //www.eastwoodcompany.com, they will send you a free catalog. They have the primer and some awesome high temp paint.

metalkfab

All the lit. shows glossy .

dennis foley

i use plastic kote flat black high temp, availibe at all auto parts stores. i dont use any primer. after the paint dries take a rag a buff the pipe with it, the results are nice, ive done this now for twenty years.

john durrill

Teddy.
The Eastwood stuff will handle a lot higher temps. and should hold up on the head pipe a lot longer.Use there tec line and ask which paint would be better. Dont think anyone makes a primer that will hold up to high temp.
I sold them and don't remember about the gloss or flat black. Either would do but the gloss will clean up better. It would not hold as much of the dirt scum that lets a pipe look so dingy
John D.

Edited by - JOHN DURRILL on 11/12/2001  8:04:43 PM

tlanders

Thanks for all the input, what a great group of people you are. Can't wait to see the results!! Teddy

tlanders

My Eastwood paint arrived today.

Teddy