74 250 frame swap

Started by paul, February 25, 2008, 09:32:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paul

Hey Poggers, the plan is to swap my 74 hare scrambler parts over to a 73 175 CMF frame. Besides the brake pedal can y'all forsee any major difficulty in this? The brake isnt a prob as I can use the 175 and make a bracket(s) for it. The 250 swingarm with needle bearings will also be used. Ultimately I would like it to look like the pro-type 250 we were eyeing a few weeks back. Got just about everything to do but a tank (toaster) and front fender bracket. In looking at the old 250's I would say they are pretty much the same frame as what I have but you old time guys know for sure. Idea's welcomed. Thanks,TTP

JP Morgen

I have been using the 175 frames with 250 AND 400 motors. The front center length from front axle to crank is about two inches shorter. Works great, no front end washout. I don't even run the engine struts, will no ill effects.

Mike Lenz

JP, I have a 75 or 76 125 KTM engine "jackpiner" style frame I have wanted to do a project like that with and have a few questions.  Are you using the STD 35mm forks? How long of rear shocks?  You have put it through a pounding without the braces, that kind of scares me to try...but I know your no slouch on the MX track!
Mike Lenz

paul

Hey, I am using the 35mm Ceriani's without question. The shocks are going to be the zooks with some kind of usable spring. The ones that come stock are too stiff for AHRMA specs travel limit postion... the up and down position. Serious MX is gonna be out of the question pretty soon when my back get some replacement parts. Quite sure some of yall have the same trouble. So it may be a great time to sponser an up and comer in Charlotte. Easy,TTpaul