Rust removal solution

Started by paul, May 01, 2008, 10:23:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paul

OK POGers, what solution is used on TV where the guy dips a rusty spoon in the product and it comes out shiny and new in seconds? Oxy Clean is all I can think of but I dont think thats it. What I'd like to try is something that eats the rust off my spoke nipples and a few spokes that are bad. Has anyone used something like this succesfully? I'd appreiciate advise on this besides paying $2 a piece(replacements for this bike). Gots lots of wheels to clean. Thanks in advance,TooTallPaul

rcrump1

I have not used it yet, but many restorers report good results using Milk Stone Remover. It is an acid product used in the dairy farm business. It can be purchased at a farm supply store.
I have a number of parts waiting to be dipped but just haven't gotten to them.
Richard

454MRW

Evapo-Rust is the most well known and much discussed on the Vinduro website. They recommend buying it direct from Evaporust.com as some of the eBay sellers may be diluting it and reducing its effectiveness. It can be used over and over again until it completely stops working. Mike

Michael R. Winter
I enjoy rebuilding and appreciating Pentons!
1974 250 HS Pentons-1980 KTM 175-400'S
Michael R. Winter
I enjoy rebuilding and appreciating Pentons!
1976 Penton MC5 400
1977 KTM MC5 125
1978 KTM 78 GS6 250
L78-79 MX6 175-250 KTM\\\'s
1976-78 125-400 RM\\\'s
2007 CR125R Honda
1977 MC250 Maico
2017 KTM Freeride 250R

V1346

Do a google search for 'electrolysis' and 'rust'.  It works.

john durrill

paul,
 There is an old hot rod trick for rusty fasteners. Paraffin , candle wax. One of the folks from the Rat Pac uses it on nipples to get them off. Heat the nipple and let the wax sweat into the threads. Dont get it too hot, just hot enough to cause the wax to run. It will draw too the heat like solder does.
  I have an 18 inch wheel we will do this too next week. Will let you know how it turns out. We found some new spokes and nipples NOS for that brand. I needed only 2 that were missing. Beats the heck out of $85 for a new set of spokes when all the others are in good shape externally.
 The evaporust does a very good job. We have done 3 rusty cranks with it a bunch of shims and some gears. One Iron Barrel cylinder.

The cylinder looked like new when we were done and the bore was untouched. Just had to run a glaze breaker hone through it for the new rings and bingo.

here is a before and after on the cylinder.
John D.

paul

Hey Thanks, I plan on putting this off until I pick out a new tire so I dont have to bust it down twice. Great help. Much appreciated,TTP