1977 MC5 400 shock length

Started by rocket randy, May 06, 2008, 05:26:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rocket randy

What is the correct length shock eye to eye for a 1977 MC5 400. Thanks For any help. Randy

Chakka

The Marzocchi's on my MC are 13.5"

tomale

Chakka is right, that's what came on my bike when I bought it new,, be aware though, be careful to use shocks that really are 13.5 some that have been used and sold as 13.5 are really 13.25 I realize that it is only a quarter of an inch, but when you are dealing with a bike that the shocks move that far forward it translates into a much bigger loss in travel, that in itself is not a big deal but it changes the fork angle and that is a big deal.. the other thing is to make sure that the spring rate is correct for you. too soft and it will cause the rear end to sag too far and that too will cause the fork angle to be too shallow... Ie. too much like a chopper... one of the things that you can do is drop the triple claps down, exposing the fork tubes to slide towards the handle bars, this will help with the corning. the MC.s need to be riden agressively, they do not do well if you just poke along... when they say they were built for champions... they were not kidding... that is the truth...

Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
76' 250 MC5 (orginal owner)74'
250 hare scrambler (project bike)
72'sixday (project bike)
Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

Mike Lenz

The Works Perf shocks from back in the day were 13.75 for the mc-5's.