Off Topic - Keihin VE Carbs

Started by KJDonovan, May 13, 2008, 12:57:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KJDonovan

Greetings,

I know this way off topic, but I figured that maybe someone who frequents this site may know where I can find this information.  One on my older brothers dropped of an 83 Honda 650 Nighthawk for me to get running for him.  The bike had spent the previous 19 years under a tarp behind his barn.  Anyway, I did all the usual stuff for reviving the dead and was able to get it started last weekend.  Only problem is, that it will only idle under choke.  When you give it the slightest bit of throttle it pukes out.  I checked, and rechecked the intakes for air leaks and found nothing.  But I would like to double check the work I did in tearing down and cleaning the carbs.  It has 26MM Keihin VE carbs, and I cannot locate a diagram anywhere.  If anyone has any idea where I may be able to locate a diagram on this type of carb, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,

KD

Kevin J. Donovan
Foster, Rhode Island
72 Jack Piner (My Ride)
72 Six Day (Wifes Ride)
Kevin J. Donovan
Foster, Rhode Island
72 Jack Piner
72 Six Day
73 Hare Scrambler
74 Hare Scrambler
74 Mint

rob w

KD, Is there a sufficent amount of fuel flowing out of the petcock ? Bob

firstturn

KD,
  One trick I use to use on Hondas after they set up was to purchase some Yamaha Carburetor Cleaner.  Empty your carbs abd pour the cleaner in the carbs via the hose off the gas tank.  Make sure you fill up the carbs with the cleaner(put the hose back on the tank and leave it closed).  Let it set over night and crank up the bike and see if cleans out your low speed circuit.  Keihins are probably the most advanced carbs built in their time because of the complex engineering used to build the machines that build the carbs.  Oh, by the way Keihin is owned by Honda and Harleys run Keihins (-:

Be sure your tank is clean or you will have to clean the low speed circuit a lot.  If this doesn't fix it time for carb kit.  I do not have a manual here or I would answer your question a diaphram.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

KJDonovan

Rob and Ron,

Thanks for the quick responses, and Rob, I do have good fuel flow from the petcock.  Ron, I tore the carbs down completely and cleaned everything that was not rubber with acetone.  The one thing I was hoping to find a diagram for is a small collar that goes into the same hole as the nozzle under the main jet.  This collar is visible inside the carb body and jet needle goes into it.  Problem is that on one end of the collar the ID is smaller than the other.  So I made an "uneducated" guess as to which end goes in first.  I chose the end with the larger ID.  Now after the fact I am second guessing myself. I was hoping to find a diagram before pulling them off again and trying it the other way.  These carbs are not fun to pull off to say the least :)

Thanks,

KD

Kevin J. Donovan
Foster, Rhode Island
72 Jack Piner (My Ride)
72 Six Day (Wifes Ride)
Kevin J. Donovan
Foster, Rhode Island
72 Jack Piner
72 Six Day
73 Hare Scrambler
74 Hare Scrambler
74 Mint

tofriedel

Kevin,

Go to this site, maybe it will give you the info you are looking for.  At least it is a diagram of the carbs.

http://www.houseofhondaparts.com/fiche_section_detail.asp

Tony
Tony

Merlin

KJ, some of the Honda Keihin's have jets under the slide/diaphram cap, these can have the effect you describe when plugged.

Quote: Thomas Jefferson, We are all born ignorant, some work to remain that way.
 Quote:Merlin, "it is impossible to teach those that wish not to be taught".
Quote: Thomas Jefferson, We are all born ignorant, some work to remain that way.
 Quote:Peter Villacaro, \\"it is impossible to teach those that wish not to be taught\\".

t20sl

Kevin:  As far as the needle jets go you may be able to tell by looking at one under a magnifier to see where the mainjet holder tightened up against it. Doubt any diagram is going to show that detailed of photo of needle jets.  One end should show marks and other end (part that should go up) wouldn't.  I have had good luck with Yamaha cleaner but usually the slow jets will not clean using chemicals after sitting more than a year or two.  You will need to mechanically push a smooth wire thur slow jet opening.  I use a wire from a stiff brush.  Do not use drill bits!