installing engine

Started by tvrc18, May 29, 2008, 12:04:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tvrc18

I will be installing my fresh Doug W. motor soon in my steel tanker and is it easier to remove the front bolt on engine mount to install the engine  and mount it after or just leave it on and install the engine? Trying to do it the easiest way and avoid scratching the frame in the process.

firstturn

Terry,
  Give me a call.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

cubfan1968

This is a very simple procedure. First step is to get a 21 year old kid, preferably strong. If he is related to you and owes you a solid, like you just repaired his truck, this is a bonus because you can take your time. Have him carefully hold the engine away from the frame and while carefully sipping a cold one insert the bolts one at a time.

See simple.

On second thought call, Ron.

Rod Whitman
Omaha, Nebraska
1972 Six Day (Rider)
1972 Six Day (Project)
Rod Whitman
Omaha, Nebraska
1972 Six Day (Rider)
1972 Six Day (Project)

tvrc18

Good one Rod, I was laughing so hard almost choked. I do have a 20 year old that owes me big, he is dating my daughter and I have not shot at him yet.

Lew Mayer

If he scratches your frame then shoot 'im 'cause that's just going TOO far.

Lew Mayer
Lew Mayer

TGTech

Terry,

I'm not sure what you're referring to regarding "scratching" the frame, but if you don't have a bare metal contact to the engine, you will either kill the ignition or it won't work.

Dane

Lew Mayer

Dane, all kidding aside, I believe he's just afraid of scratching the exposed frame tubes not the mounting tabs where you do need metal to metal contact for ignition grounding.

Lew Mayer
Lew Mayer

tvrc18

That is correct, just do not want to scratch the frame installing the engine. I taped off a spot on the inside of the rear motor mount so no paint would get on it for a good ground. Ron C. had a good idea by using the foam insulation you use on plumbing pipes for freeze protection. I was going to install the motor today but had issues with my rear rim. I had it rechromed and the chrome is flaking already from the tire tools. I have some plastic protectors for the rim but still had to pry in one spot with out the protector and chrome started flaking. A poor chrome job for sure. Now I am unsure what I am going to do, hate to unlace the wheel again but may have to.