Jackpiner Restoration?

Started by TCTrailrider, May 28, 2008, 08:57:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TCTrailrider

I have a very nice 1974, 175 Jackpiner. Tank and side plates have been repainted and look great. Best I can tell about 1,000 miles on it, original frame paint, motor etc. New fenders, air boot, brake pedal and a couple of other odds and ends, wheels are very good. Excellent motor, pipe etc. Frame has a couple of very small surface rust spots on the swingarm. Have an itch for a restoration project but don't want to decrease its value. Plan to ride it once of twice a year, special occasions. May ride the Jackpine Endoro on it this year. Your thoughts, restore or leave as is?,

Lew Mayer

A good place to start, is do a search and look at the post on 1/19/2008. There was a good discussion of "To restore or refurbish". It's an old question which requires thought on your part of where you would like to go with it. None of mine ,personally, are "garage queens". I just don't have the place to store a properly preserved prize. Go to that post for starters. It was a good one. And Welcome Aboard. You'll find the best help in the world from the people in this group.

Lew Mayer
Lew Mayer

TCTrailrider

Thanks Lew, a great thread. I think preservation is in order on this one.

Rain Man

Sight unseen and solely relying on your info, I'd leave it as is !!
2c

Raymond
 Down East Pentons
Raymond
 Down East Pentons

454MRW

If it were my coice, I would do the necessary things, like wheel bearings, lube all cables if they in good shape, check and/or replace the brakes, clean carb, new air filter, blast and paint the pipe with VHT hi-Temp Wheel caliper paint like was suggested in a previous thread, remove the swingarm and clean and lube the bolt, (yes the bolt, or anti-sieze, you will thank yourself later), and swingarm bearings. Since the swingarm will be off, try cleaning the rusted spots and touching them up, or paint the swingarm if you would rather, and can match it well enough. Maybe a little touch up on the engine, then, ride and enjoy without spending a fortune. There's My 2 cents. Mike

Michael R. Winter
I enjoy rebuilding and appreciating Pentons!
1974 250 HS Pentons-1980 KTM 175-400'S
Michael R. Winter
I enjoy rebuilding and appreciating Pentons!
1976 Penton MC5 400
1977 KTM MC5 125
1978 KTM 78 GS6 250
L78-79 MX6 175-250 KTM\\\'s
1976-78 125-400 RM\\\'s
2007 CR125R Honda
1977 MC250 Maico
2017 KTM Freeride 250R

Steve Minor

I agree with Mike.....Like it's been said in the past..."it can only be original once".

Steve Minor
Wilmington, NC
Steve Minor