Ernie

Started by rob w, June 20, 2008, 01:12:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rob w

Ernie,
Thank you for your story in the latest Still Keeping Track, I always enjoy your writings. I ran a background check on you, and found your story to be truthful. Only joking.  

Orlando, FL. Feb. 16, 1974

Tallahassee, FL. Feb. 23, 1974 1st place, beating Don Kudalski (yeah!)

Jacksonville,FL. Mar. 2, 1974

Wow, I'm impressed. You have to be very good, and very fast to have results like these. So cool.
I see you had better results being an Ernie, rather than a Ernest. :D

Take care, hope to race with you next year,
Bob

firstturn

Rob,
  Great work and when you see Ernie on a 100/125 Penton you will see that he is fast.  Thanks for looking up these results.....just more fun to see some of the names and also see the tires used on the start then they would move them during the race.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

brian kirby

You will find that Ernie downplays his racing when he was young but he was the real deal.

Brian
Brian

brian kirby

By the way, in the picture above right over # 45s left shoulder in about 4th place the Bell Star full face helmet is Ernie.

Brian
Brian

Ernie Phillips

Thanks for checking up on me --  Bawb!    Whew!  Glad I didn't stretch the truth too far.  Where in the world did you dig up those old articles?  Beating Don K. that one time was a highlight for sure.  Throughout the 1974 Winter Series, Don rode 2 classes; 250 & open, back-to-back, so it wasn't like I was really on his level, but a win is a win.  He was unbeatable in the sand but I got him on the hardpack at Tallassee that day.  Don went on to win at the Pro level on factory Rokon and Harley!   Me, I went back to school.  Looking back, glad I got to do it, but even more thankful that I got to complete my education.    I'm blessed to be able to play-race now.  (About that Maico:  I could "pin" it as a youth, it kicks my old butt now).

In a moment of weakness & since it's Ernie appreciation day, I submit the following:

http://tinyurl.com/66kygr

Very full Gate at the Start:  Moto1 Tallassee 1974

http://tinyurl.com/4stz4p

Phillips' Cycleliner:  Brownie (aka rustola).  1966 Ford F100
Pre-Red Bull:  16 oz Dr. Pepper.
Talk about your long hair.  (not ugly girls – pretty boys?)  1973

http://tinyurl.com/4vucwv

Professional Help:  Ernie, Doug, David Bailey students.  & the Professor.  1973
(lots of Yellow #27 Maico's back in the day, Ake wanna bees)

Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN
Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN

Ernie Phillips

Another thing about racing in Florida in the winter of '74, there was a spot fuel shortage.  My brother and I almost didn't make it home from the first race of the series at St. Pete.  We got lucky and found a station that said they would be open the following morning.  We were first in line and got a full tank.  To avoid future problems, we borrowed a 50 gallon saddle tank from a buddy who was in the trucking business.   We usually tried to take an extra 25 gallons just in case.  It cost about $7.  We would fill up the truck on the way down and then siphon gas out of the spare tank into the truck tank on the way home.  Last week at the races in Casey, I bought 10 gallons of 93 octane for the bikes. It cost $43.  My-my, times sure have changed.

Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN
Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN