Main bearings

Started by brian kirby, August 13, 2008, 02:02:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brian kirby

Why do the Sachs and KTM engines have three piece main bearings? Why should you not use a one piece bearing? Is there thrust loading of the bearing in these applications?

Brian

'73 Berkshire
Brian

chicagojerry

brian,it makes it easier to split the cases since the inner race and the bearing cage stay on the crank. i recently pulled apart a 250 ktm motor that someone had put normal bearings in so it can be done but i had to use a case splitter tool to get them apart.   jerry

SouthRider

It's mainly because the Germans/Austrians were almost possessed in their obsession to build things with the absolute tightest tolerances possible. FYI - this is why they lost WWII. American tanks could be fixed with spit & baling wire in the field.

Caged main bearings work just fine, however you cannot shim them.

Sachs motors are like fine jeweled watches. They can (and must) be set up to exacting standards to run properly, and then they run forever......

_____________________________________________________________________________________

\\"We the willing, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible, for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, that we are now qualified to do almost anything, with nothing.\\"

1972 Penton Berkshire 100
1983 Husqvarna 250 XC
2011 Jayco 31.5 RLDS
2009 Chevy 2500 HD Duramax

brian kirby

Thanks guys. I had no intention of putting one piece bearings in either of these type engines, I was just curious why the three piece bearing was used. It sounds like the KTM could fairly easily use them but the Sachs needs the three piece because of the shimming required to get it all adjusted?

Brian

'73 Berkshire
Brian

Lew Mayer

My Jackpiner had one-piece bearings in it when I took it apart.

Lew Mayer
Lew Mayer

Rocket

The 3 piece bearing makes splitting and putting back together very easy, hard part is shimming from scratch to get proper clearance.  You have to shim the 3 piece bearing to get the axial clearance correct.  A one piece bearing, the axial clearance is already in the bearing.  The new KTM's still use a bearing where one half stays on the crank and the outer race stays in the case, but you don't have to shim anymore.  East motors to work on.
Rocket