Paypal SCAM-Beware!!!!!!!

Started by sixdazed, August 15, 2008, 01:34:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sixdazed

Guys-watch out!!!I got an official looking email from paypal (supposedly)that said someone was attempting to use my credit card without authorization or something to that effect.It asks you to click here to log on to an official looking website(Paypal)which then leads to to a page to verify your credit card #.DO NOT CLICK ON TO THIS SITE!!!It's phony-i called ebay support to verify it's authenticity before i typed in my card # (thank God!)and ebay told me that yes the email was a phony email and to change my paypal password immediately as that email is a SPOOF.I've got some other words for it that i can't write here being a family website.Scumbag scammers are at it again.Pass the word.If you get a fishy email verify with ebay before responding-i'm glad i did!Later,
                                                       Ric

ric emmal
Ric Emmal
Pentons Rule!
5 125 steel tankers
10 cmf 100/125
2 Mettco 125
1 Penda
2 jackpiners
2 harescramblers
5 Herc 7 speeds
1 Tyran 125
1 Ktm150xc
1 Honda crf450x
1 Honda sl70
1 Hon cr125 77
1 Yam pw80
2 Yam yz125d
1 Suz pe 175
1 Suz rm85
1 Mz250
3 Sachs/dkw 125
1 Hon cb700sc
1 Aprillia RC50
Most in progress..                      so many projects-so little time...

tvrc18

One thing about an email from paypal they will use your name in the message. I have had those phony ones also trying to get you to click on their link. If it is a tru message from paypal they will refer to you by your first and last name.
Terry

sixdazed

Hi Terry,They did refer to me by first and last name,and the thing looked pretty official with no misspelling.I bet they fool a bunch of people.What made me suspicious is why ask me for my card #.I almost typed it in until i thought about it.
                                            Ric

ric emmal
Ric Emmal
Pentons Rule!
5 125 steel tankers
10 cmf 100/125
2 Mettco 125
1 Penda
2 jackpiners
2 harescramblers
5 Herc 7 speeds
1 Tyran 125
1 Ktm150xc
1 Honda crf450x
1 Honda sl70
1 Hon cr125 77
1 Yam pw80
2 Yam yz125d
1 Suz pe 175
1 Suz rm85
1 Mz250
3 Sachs/dkw 125
1 Hon cb700sc
1 Aprillia RC50

tvrc18

The one I had sent to me just said paypal member. Good thing you caught yourself before you went to far. It is best to not click on any links and type the web url yourself to be safe.
Terry

thrownchain

If you ever get one of these, forward it to:  [email protected] and they will try to take care of it.  Same with similar messages from E bay, but send to: [email protected] and they will do the same.

sixdazed

Hi Daniel,Instead of just fowarding i used the new ebay phone  customer service.They checked with paypal while i was on the phone, had me foward it,verified it was a spoof,and sent me an email explaining.Like i said,it looked pretty legit(had case# and paypal email id#), so talking to a human helped ease my mind,not to mention she had me change my paypal password while on the phone.Later,
                                                             Ric

ric emmal
Ric Emmal
Pentons Rule!
5 125 steel tankers
10 cmf 100/125
2 Mettco 125
1 Penda
2 jackpiners
2 harescramblers
5 Herc 7 speeds
1 Tyran 125
1 Ktm150xc
1 Honda crf450x
1 Honda sl70
1 Hon cr125 77
1 Yam pw80
2 Yam yz125d
1 Suz pe 175
1 Suz rm85
1 Mz250
3 Sachs/dkw 125
1 Hon cb700sc
1 Aprillia RC50

tofriedel

Another tip to be aware of.  Look at the return email address.  If it does not say "www.PayPal.com"do not go any further and report it to PayPal.

Tony
Tony

Mike OReilly

The basic rule is: DO NOT EVER CLICK ON THE LINK TO REPLY TO THIS KIND OF A MESSAGE. If you feel it is necessary to contact them then either do it with an address that you enter, or, as suggested contact customer service by telephone.
Mike