35 mm Ceriani Forks

Started by john durrill, August 19, 2008, 10:27:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

john durrill

Folks,
We are about to install a set of the 200 mm 35's on my Six-Day.
We have a set of the 6 + inch travel 35's on it now. The rub is that one dampener rod was pitted badly and would cause accelerated wear on the bushes that align it in the fork tubes and could break where the pitting is deep.
 We have one option that we can do that might work. BUT ! we would like some advice from folks that have modified forks and are more knowledgeable on the workings of the parts.
 So here goes chuckle chuckle!
 The 200 mm tubes are 13/16's ( 23 5/16 over 22.5 inches )  longer than the 6+ 35 mm tubes.
 The snap ring groove that hold's the dampener in place is mounted At the bottom of both short and long tubes and is the same distance in from the tube edge.
 We could use the shorter dampener rods in place of the longer ones we think.
 The bushings , rebound spring  and stop valve look to be the same parts. The longer rod has one hole drilled in the bottom lower in placement that the shorter rod. Other than this one difference every thing else seems to be the same. See the picture below.

We will loose the extra travel but gain an increase in rake and trail using the longer tubes. When we went with the 76 style rear shock set up and added the extra travel to the rear we lost some straight line stability. That's the main reason for me trying the longer fork's. The .485 inch's of extra travel was just an added plus.
 The dampener rod and the front brake cable are all that hold the front wheel on so I am a bit reluctant to use the rod in the picture. So far no luck in finding a replacement rod.
 This is the set up for our RR bike this year so we are trying to finish this mod. up early and test it.
 Any and all help or input would be greatly appreciated :)
 John D.

Merlin

Those pits are no cause for concern Mr chuckle chuckle, sand it with some #80 cloth to break the edges of the pits, put it together and run it.

Quote: Thomas Jefferson, We are all born ignorant, some work to remain that way.
 Quote:Merlin, "it is impossible to teach those that wish not to be taught".
Quote: Thomas Jefferson, We are all born ignorant, some work to remain that way.
 Quote:Peter Villacaro, \\"it is impossible to teach those that wish not to be taught\\".

john durrill

Merlin,
 Thank you. I have one leg  1/2 and inch shoter that the other from a fork and wheel that separated. Have no desire to repeat that experience chuckle chuckle.
 John D.