OhioTed's Six-Day runs!

Started by OhioTed, September 15, 2008, 10:33:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OhioTed

Guys, I found and corrected the problem tonight.  Couldn't believe how simple it turned out to be.  I had two wires touching, which apparently was partially grounding the ignition.

The two wires which go from the MZB to the coil are really tiny, and go into a plug which leaves a considerable portion of their leads exposed.  They are only about 1mm apart in the plug.  Like the poor mechanic I am, I had wrapped electrical tape around the leads to ground them from outside contact - and in doing so pushed them together.

The resulting ground, while allowing the plug to spark when laid it against the head, and allowed the lights to flutter when I kicked 'er over, would nonetheless not permit ignition.

When I discovered this, I hoped against hope that it was my solution.  Once the wires were separated, I checked the spark with the plug laid against the head.  It looked the same as before.  Still, I inserted the plug and gave it a try.  

Now, get this:  I had removed the carb last night to go over it again, so there was no fuel in the bowl.  Plus, although I had squirted some starter fluid into the engine, that was more than 24 hours prior.  And yet, the moment that I pushed down on the kicker, the little motor fired.  I mean, right now!  And, it wasn't a cough, or a backfire, or anything - it just started running.  And that's not all!!!  I also, by accident, had the bike in gear!  Yep.  Sitting there on the stand, the Six-Day fired over and began turning the rear wheel.  Amazing.

So, I excitedly poured some fuel into the "test tube" I have hooked up (no tank yet - it's still being painted), and with the bike in neutral, prodded it again, and it fired perfectly.  Didn't even require any choke.  I'm running a 26mm Mikuni, which has no air screw.  All I did was turn in the idle screw, and she settled right down and idled perfectly.  I'm not even sure I'll have to fool with the jetting.  The bikes sounds that good.  Maybe drop the needle, but that's about it.  

I've not test-ridden the bike yet, but am now confident that we're all ready to go.  Thanks so much to everyone who helped me to sort through this.  I couldn't have done it without you guys.  Take care, and hope to see you all at the anniversary event.  You guys are the best.

Ted Guthrie

Kip Kern

Ted  It is always something simple!  Good Job!:D

Ernie Phillips

Fantastic!!  Perseverance is a Great Element of Success. -EP

Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN
Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN

woodchuck

Glad to hear it was something simple, it usually is.
Nice work.

Chuck P

Rain Man

Glad to here you got it going Ted.  I have a 3yo MZB equipped  6 day and the things starts 2nd kick every time. You'll love the head light too, especially this time of year being dark so early.

Raymond
 Down East Pentons
Raymond
 Down East Pentons

OhioTed

My great thanks once again for all the excellent and considerate advice, encouragement, and support, which helped me to get my Six-Day running.  

I must also reiterate and clarify, that the shorting problem I experienced was due solely and only to my own mechanical shortcomings.  The ONLY reason those wires were able to touch is because I failed to wire the MZB system properly, and in accordance with the comprehensive instructions provided with the assembly.  

I also wish to thank the following persons, without whose gracious and unselfish assistance I would never have completed this project:

Al Buehner
Doug Wilford
Kip Kern
Rod Gorzny
Bob Wardlow
Gary Roach
Nelson McCullough
Kent Knudson
and many more wonderful POG members.

Finally, a very, very special thanks, to my good friend Tom McPhail, who GAVE me this particular Six-Day several years ago, albeit in very sad shape  at the time indeed.

PS:  The Six-Day not only looks good, but started first-kick, every time, throughout the anniversary weekend.  Thanks, guys.

Ted

Lew Mayer

Ted, it looked like it ran great. Nice job.

Lew Mayer
Lew Mayer

leoheyman

leoheyman