Barbour vs. Belstaff

Started by marsattacks, September 18, 2008, 05:13:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

marsattacks

Way back in the day, did Team Penton use the same basic jackets and if so were they Barbour or Belstaff or something else? Just curious. I'm stuck in the UK for 4 weeks and can't make the reunion but looking forward to pictures. On the plus side a second-hand shop behind my hotel had a Belstaff Sammy Miller Trialmaster jacket in the window and remarkably it fit so I couldn't resist. It is from the 60s or 70s and apparently these things have been revived by Will Smith in some movie I haven't seen. I seem to recall some mention that Barbours were more typical.  They are both pretty similar, though. Regards, John
Mars Attacks!
68 Planetary/Lunar Lander (very sadly, sold with Gamma death-ray to the Italians)
78 400 MC5 also sadly sold
79 space rock shox bike

Lew Mayer

Personally, I wore a Belstaff. A lot others did too.

Lew Mayer
Lew Mayer

TGTech

John,

We wore both types of jackets, but there were some other types as well. I think one year, we had red Belstaff suits, both jackets and pants. I still have a Belstaff jacket that's never seen dirt. I bought it in a shop in London in '75.

Dane

Gary Roach

I found this photo of Tom Penton on the AMA Hall of Fame website.

marsattacks

Thanks Lew, Dane and Gary.  The photo is nice!  You guys are the best!  Note the angled left-hand pocket (supposedly designed for military use to allow for quick-draw -- don't know if that is true or not).
Mars Attacks!
68 Planetary/Lunar Lander (very sadly, sold with Gamma death-ray to the Italians)
79 space rock shox bike

firstturn

Or a route sheet.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

marsattacks

Some "history" of these things says they were issued to submarine commanders, but heaven help the submarine commander who pockets a route sheet.:)
Mars Attacks!
79 space rock shox bike

Dwight Rudder

I wore a Belstaff at my first ISDT. I still have it but it is now in the Kickstand Museum on a Mannequin sitting on a 1975 Hercules GS125/6D.
It was a dark green but after my wife got through "CLEANING" it, it turned a med light green.
Hide your jackets from your wives.
I also have a off brand wax cotton jacket that I think HiPoint was selling or thinking of selling.  It was worn by Doug Wilford.
My current Belstaffs are Black and I recently bought a Barbour jacket.
Dwight