The beginning of POG

Started by ALB, October 14, 2008, 09:27:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ALB

Hi, my name is Alan Buehner a new voice to this forum but no stranger to the POG since I am one of the founding members and currently serve as the Treasurer and editor of the quarterly newsletter.Hi, my name is Alan Buehner a new voice to this forum but no stranger to the POG since I am one of the founding members and currently serve as the Treasurer and editor of the quarterly newsletter.

Since this is the 10th Anniversary of the Penton Owners Group I figured that this would be a good time to get registered on this web site and tell the story of how the POG began. There were several people who were involved in the formation of the POG but there were two people in particular that played a key role – Norm Miller and Paul Danik.

Since it is encouraged that all new people registering on this site tell something about themselves as a way to introduce themselves to everyone that uses this forum I am going to share my story of how this wonderful organization came to be.

My introduction to motorcycling came from my best friend, Richard Page, who in May of 1971 showed up at my parent's house on a 71 Honda 100. He gave me a ride on the back of his new pride and joy, which included a trip through the local woods. I was hooked and bought a 71 Kawasaki 100 street/ trail bike. During one of our street riding journeys, he led me to one of his college buddy's house to check out the "bad" 71 Kawasaki 500 triple that he owned. I was thrilled to get a ride on the back of John Fecek's "rocket ship" but what really caught my attention was the bike owned by his brother Mike. It was a Maico 250 motocrosser. Having lived all my life in a big city, I had never seen anything like it and he is the person that eventually got me involved in racing motocross.

After a summer of riding the Kaw 100 both on and off road and developing my riding skills I was ready to move up and in November purchased a 71 Kawasaki 350 "Big Horn".  This became my bike for street and trail riding. In 1972 I removed the lights from my Kaw 100 and tried my luck with racing motocross in the 100cc class. I was a very consistent rider and at all of the different race tracks that I went to I could be seen battling it out for second last place. It was at these races that I saw what Penton motorcycles were and what they could do. They were the bikes that always got the hole shot and ran away from everyone in my class. This made me more determined than ever to make my Kawasaki a winning bike and I taught myself how to tear down an engine and do porting. I was a dedicated Kawasaki fan. In order to race at the tracks, I also become an AMA member.

In the summer of 1973 I learned from the AMA magazine that an ISDT was going to be held in Massachusetts. Having seen the movie "On Any Sunday" the year before, I knew what this was all about and was determined to go to this event to see my heroes Malcolm Smith and the Kawasaki team riders. I mailed in my money to the AMA for their package deal on the event which contained maps for each day of riding. I went to that event with one of my riding buddies, Mike Rand, an we hauled our trusty bikes with us (my Kaw 350 and his Yamaha 250) to ride around to the spectating areas. Like John Penton, it was this ISDT event that opened my eyes to the other world of off-road motorcycling. I saw bikes with names on them that I never knew existed and there were bikes in classes from 50cc to 1,000cc being ridden through terrain that was well beyond my abilities at the time. The high lite for me at that event was on Thursday afternoon when the route for that day went right past our campground and where there was a check point. All Mike and I had to do was grab a couple of folding chairs and sit by the side of the road. By that time of the week I had learned about the Penton boys and we got the see and wave to all of them and the other U.S. riders who had to stop in front of us.

In 1974 I decided to try something a little different than motocross and entered a hare-scrambles event where I got myself in trouble and injured my knee. This prompted me to give up all racing and I devoted my spare time trail riding with my buddies which was less expensive and more fun. In the summer, I purchased a used 73 Penton 175 motocrosser. I bought a 3 gallon alloy gas tank and an enduro kit from Chuck Malone who was the only Penton dealer in Cleveland. I obtained a license plate for it and this become my primary trail bike for riding.

In 1977 during a visit to my Penton dealer, Chuck informed me that Penton was going out of business, and since he sold only Bultaco and Penton bikes, he was going to close up his shop and offered me the opportunity to buy his Penton parts inventory. Since I had no intention of giving up my trusty Penton Jackpiner I took up his offer in order to have a supply of parts to keep my bike going. With the purchase I wound up with his Sachs engine parts which I knew nothing about and had no interest in keeping. I made up an inventory list and mailed it out to several Penton Dealers in the Ohio area with an offer to sell the whole lot at a bargain price, but no one responded. I kept these parts in a carton in my garage and spent the next 15 years riding my Jackpiner any chance I got.

In February of 1993, I got a call at work from some fellow wanting to know if I was the guy that was buying Penton motorcycle parts. The first thing I asked him was who told you that? Even though I was not interested in buying parts, I met with him and bought all of the Penton parts and bikes that he had in his garage. He told me that all of this stuff was now vintage and that there were swap meets going on where people went to buy and sell this stuff.  He gave me the heads up about Will Stoner and his swap meets.

On June 28, 1993 I went to my first swap meet in Burbank, Ohio to sell off all of my unwanted Penton parts, especially the Sachs engine parts. It was one of Will Stoner's Swap Meets and it was at this event that I first met Paul Danik. He was very interested in the Sachs parts that I had and purchased a few items. I don't know why he never bought the whole box of those Sachs parts. In talking with me he realized that I had no idea what I had and spent some time educating me about them. After he left, I decided to hold onto those parts instead of trying to sell them off in one lump sum. After that event, I started to search out and buy old dealer inventories of Penton parts and this became my hobby. It was at one of these Will Stoner swap meets that I met Norm Miller. During the next 4 years Paul and Norm were regular attendees at these events and I got to know them better. It was also at one of these swap meets that Norm brought along Jeff Penton, allowing me the opportunity to meet and talk with him. It was also at one of these later swap meets that Paul Danik mentioned the idea that we or someone should put a Penton owners club together.

In July of 1993 I attended my first AMA Vintage Days event at Powell Speedway in Columbus, Ohio which was being promoted by Will Stoner. It was at this event that I saw the Penton/ KTM 250 short tracker up for sale in the auction tent. The desire to purchase this bike was so strong that when it did not meet minimum bid during the auction, I met with the owner later and made arrangements with him to buy it.

In the early part of 1994 (March?) I tried to get in touch with John Penton in order to have him sign the gas tank of the short tracker and some other items. Every time that I called Hi-Point Trailers, someone else would answer the phone and John would never return my calls. I gave up trying to see John Penton until one day, a couple of months later, when I was talking to Norm and mentioned it to him, he said that he saw John every day and would talk to him about it. In July Norm made arrangements to introduce me and I met John Penton for the first time at Jeff Penton's house.

It was at the Will Stoner AMA vintage Days event at Powell Speedway, 2 weeks later, that I got to meet John Penton for the second time. He was the guest speaker at the AMA dinner and was all fired up because a magazine article was written about all of the people in motorcycling who made an impact on the sport and John's name was never mentioned. It was his speech that taught me all that he was involved with (I had no idea at that time). It was at this event that I met Jack and Jeff, John's wife Donna, his brother Ike, and his sister Pat.

In July 1996 I was set up to sell Penton Parts at Will Stoner's Swap meet at the AMA Vintage days event. It was my 3rd year at the Mid-Ohio track and what started out as a disaster because I was set up right next to my biggest competitor, Mike Mefford (who had the worlds largest Penton inventory at the time), became a great event  as I met more Penton enthusiasts than the previous years. Late Saturday afternoon, as I stood looking around me with thoughts and feelings of what a wonderful day it had been  and what could I do to make it fun and exciting for my Penton customers, I got the idea to see if I could get John Penton to show up the next year to sign autographs.

In March or April of 1997 I called Norm Miller to see if he could talk to John Penton about the idea of attending the Mid-Ohio event in July to do autographs. John was in a lot of pain at that time from the disintegration of several discs in his back, and he was unwilling to make a commitment until after he had surgery to correct the problem. It was during this time that I visited Paul Danik at his house and he graciously offered me his ISDT and Qualifier medals along with some Penton memorabilia to take home with me to have professionally framed up to be used in a special display I was planning to set up at the Mid-Ohio event. I also met with with Dane Leimbach and Jack Penton and they trusted me with their ISDT medals which my sister Marie lovingly framed up.

In April John had his back operation and I met him shortly after that on May 8 at Penton Honda where I was having a meeting with Jack Penton.

May 12th I put together my first Penton Parts newsletter and it was mailed out to every customer on my mailing list. This one page newsletter announced the special Penton display that I was going to have at Mid-Ohio and that John Penton would we attending to do autographs along with Jack, Jeff, Dane Leimbach and Paul Danik. It was also announced in that newsletter that Penton #V001 owned by Norm Miller would be on display at Mid-Ohio.

Saturday July 12th John Penton arrives at the Penton Display in the swap meet section of Mid-Ohio and the place is crowed with loyal Penton enthusiasts who are elated to have their picture taken with John Penton, get his autograph and meet with Jack, Jeff, Dane, and Paul. Norm was there with his "number 1" and Jack brought down a couple of  special KTM 1997 anniversary series bikes to display – a 125 and a 200. Because of the excellent turn-out and amount of excitement generated at this event, Paul Danik stated that now is the time to put a Penton club together and I agreed to spearhead it.

I can't remember who scheduled it, or made the contacts, but the first organizational meeting to put a club together was held at Penton Honda on November 13th and was followed up with another meeting on December 4th. Some of the people that attended the first meeting were, Jack, Dane, Paul, Dale Barris, and I am sure that John showed up (perhaps Paul Danik can remember). Topics ranged from coming up with a name for the club, obtaining a charter as a non-profit, a mission statement, Bylaws, membership dues, a newsletter, membership decals, insurance and liability, arranging with AHRMA to have a Penton only demonstration ride on the MX track at Mid-Ohio, what events to be involved in, and how to run the organization (election of officers and terms). It was at one of these two meetings that Paul Danik brought up the idea of us contacting the AMA to become feature marque. He also brought up the idea of a John Penton book that needs to be written.

January 22, 1998 was the 3rd meeting and was attended by Norm Miller, Dale Barris, Matt Wiseman, Paul Danik, Dane Leimbach, Jack Penton, and Alan Buehner at Penton Honda. Fortunately I kept and wrote up minutes of what happened at this meeting and the others that followed. It was at this meeting that the official name would be "Penton Owners Group".  A version of a constitution and bylaws supplied by Bill Smith (Mi) was discussed and changes were made to fit the need for our club. My intention in being involved in the formation of the club was help put it together and then step back, however at this meeting we needed a volunteer to be President and when no one spoke up and they all just looked at me and I had no choice but to accept the position and lead the way. It was also determined at this meeting that John Penton should have the honorary lifetime membership no. 1, number 2 would go to his wife Donna, and number 3 to Ted Penton. Norm Miller was assign the duty of opening a P.O. Box and Paul Danik volunteered to contact the State of Ohio to obtain paperwork to incorporate the group.

February 26 – a meeting was held at Penton Honda. In attendance were John Penton, Dale Barris, Al Born, Paul Danik, Jim Borer, Dane Leimbach, Jack Penton, Alan Buehner, John Borer, Norm Miller, and Doug Beam. Letters of recommendation were presented to Paul Danik by John Penton and Rod Bush (president of KTM) tor our AMA charter application. Officers were selected – Norm Miller as Treasurer, Paul Danik as chief Legislative Officer, Doug Beam as Secretary, and Jack Penton as Referee – to help complete our AMA charter application.

March 30th was the date for the 1st official meeting of the Penton Owners Group. We were finally up and running and we haven't slowed down since.

Alan Buehner
Alan Buehner

firstturn

Thanks Al for being the glue that helped hold this group together in the early days and thanks for your continued leadership.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

ALB

It was a lot of work but well worth it in the long run.

Many of our POG members and all those who use this web site have no idea of how special an unique the POG has turned out to be. In setting up the POG my intent was to do whatever was necessary to get it up and going and then step back and let someone else run it. I had no intention to be President (I have enough titles and didn't need another one), but had no choice in the matter. When I asked for a volunteer to be President, no one spoke up and they all just looked at me. So I accepted the position and somehow we managed to fill the other officer postitions of the POG. It has been a good working relationship with everyone that just keeps getting better as we go along.

This club is very special and there is no other one like it in the motorcycling community. Look at all of the AMA Hall of Fame inductees that are members. All the members are helpful and go out of their way to help complete strangers on their projects. We are all "family" and get along with each other at events because of this "Penton" passion that we all share. And probably the most important thing about the POG is that John Penton is still alive and active with the club. What other club out there can say that the brand that they represent has the founder or builder of their bike as a member?

The POG has been an exciting RIDE and I am happy to be a part of it.
Alan Buehner

Rocket

Thanks Al for all of the hard work you have done for the POG organization.  I definitely appreciate it, I have made many friends throughout the country because of this group, and you are one of them.
thanks again,
Rod Gorzny

ALB

Thanks for the kind words Ron.

I have pictures of you and Richard Sanders at the 1997 Mid-Ohio event. I also have a list of names of most of the people who were there to see John and obtain autographs. It was a great time and I still remember it like it was yesterday.

The POG has produced a lot of good during the past 10 years.

It has been a learning experience for me, and Ron, your kind words of thanks and encouragement during the years has helped me to keep on going.

Alan Buehner
Alan Buehner

firstturn

Al,
  Kind words are easy when dealing with excellent people like you and your Family.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

Jerry Chafton

Great story Al, as a new member I certainly thank you for the history lesson and admire you for all you have done for the sport and the Penton name. Like you, I recently joined the POG forum but in the 70's I couldn't wait to enter another event. It was racing every weekend somewhere and for three straight years it was on a Penton. I look forward to finishing my 250 Hare Scrambler and entering an event or two.
Keep the history lessons coming.....

ALB

Jerry, on behalf of the Penton Owners Group I would like to welcome you to the POG. All of you POG members out there give a big "Yeee Hah!" to Jerry.

The history lesson is not over. I'm hoping that Paul Danik will make some comments on this topic about his experience with meeting me for the first time and all the magical things that happened because of his "ideas".

What amazes me the most is looking where I am right now and looking back on my life and how the people I met influenced me to be where I am. If any one of these people were missing from my life, there probably would not be a POG today, and I could have missed out on all the fun and excitement of riding motorcycles and of course the POG.

John Penton and his motorcycles and the Penton Owners Group has changed lives.

Alan Buehner
Alan Buehner

hankthecrank

Jerry, Heres your YEEE-HAH! Welcome to the group!

Hank Rinehart
Hank Rinehart

Paul Danik

Al Buehner wrote, "On June 28, 1993 I went to my first swap meet in Burbank, Ohio to sell off all of my unwanted Penton parts, especially the Sachs engine parts. It was one of Will Stoner's Swap Meets and it was at this event that I first met Paul Danik. He was very interested in the Sachs parts that I had and purchased a few items. I don't know why he never bought the whole box of those Sachs parts".

To answer your question Al, your asking price was a bit high :D

I have enjoyed reading your self introduction and learning more about you.  I do remember that first meeting at the Will Stoner swap meet, and the many times we met prior to POG at various events, you and Rosemary tending your Penton parts booth.

To anyone who is interested, please bear with me as I try to provide a little back ground on what lead up to mentioning to Al about a Penton club.

At the time I was very much involved with the Ohio Valley BSA Owners Club, starting out just attending their events as a member, then being asked to join their Board of Directors, and then being asked by Paul Atkinson, one of the founders of the OVBSAOC, to assume the role of president of the club. Initially I told Paul that I was not knowledgeable enough about BSAs to take that position, to which he replied that the job wasn't about the bikes but about leading the club.  I thought about it for a few days, all along thinking about all of the clubs who have put on events over the years that I rode in, the lay out crews, sweep riders, checkers, ect.  I knew that I owed the motorcycling fraternity a dept of gratitude and decided to take up Paul's offer as way of giving back, plus it seemed like an interesting challenge.  

In seeing how much all of the BSA guys enjoyed getting together, along with riding and restoring their machines, it didn't take long for the idea of a Penton club to enter my mind.  I started to pitch that idea to anyone who would listen, with no takers till I mentioned it to Al Buehner.  I told the OVBSAOC guys what was going on and that I would be stepping down at the end of what I think was my second term, they were all very much in support of what we hoped to do. My best friend and mentor, Bob Augustine, was elected president of the OVBSAOC when I left, sadly Augie passed away during the moto-cross race at Vintage Days that July.  Augie was the one who had guided me  to buy my first Penton and mentored me through all of my years of riding and racing.  Without his guidance I would probably still be stuck in a mudhole on my first motorcycle, a 150 Honda Dream with knobby tires and a welded on overlay sprocket. I sure wish Augie would have been able to have been a part of all of this, but I know he is smiling on all of us.

The lessons that were learned while being involved with the Ohio Valley BSA Owners Club really helped immensely with us getting on our feet quickly. The OVBSAOC put on the very first Featured Marque display at VMD featuring BSAs, that experience really helped us to have the confidence to jump into doing the Penton Featured Marque display in 2000.

My hat is off to Alan for all that he has done and continues to do, and I will always be grateful to him for taking up the challenge. The list of folks who have helped the POG get to where it is, is very long.  Guys such as Berry Eley (sp) who created the POG website on his own before many of us had any idea what this website stuff was all about, and many, many more.

In the end it is you, the POG members, Penton enthusiasts, and followers of John Penton, who make it all work. Anyone can start a club, but for it to grow and become a community to itself is a true testament to all of you.

Thanks Alan, and thanks to all.
Paul

tomale

Al, Paul thank you so much for the background.... Al I have enjoyed talking with you each time I have ordered parts, and everytime someong asks me about were to get Penton parts, you are the first name on the list... As for this Group and this chat group.. Yes indeed, there is no group anywhere that is like this one.. It is the very best and it is the standard that I measure all others... It has been my joy to be a part of this group and I cherish the few times that I have had the opportunity to meet a few of you guys... It was a thrill to finally meet John Penton a couple of years ago when I attended that great event, The ISDT RR.
Truly, there is no place like this place.

Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
76' 250 MC5 (orginal owner)74'
250 hare scrambler (project bike)
72'sixday (project bike)
Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

ALB

I'm happy to hear Paul Danik's side of the story. I didn't know that his involvement with the Ohio Valley BSA was during the same time period. Which is probably why he got me to show up at their summer event to sell parts and join their club after I first met him. It's a great group of guys and I continue to maintain my membership with them even though I do not know much about those BSAs and other british bikes.

At the first few meetings of trying to put the POG together, fantastic stories would come up. At our very first "official" meeting I borrowed my dad's VCR camera to try and capture some of these stories. I set the camera up on a tripod and would turn the camera on when a story would start up. This was a hassle - trying to run a meeting and jumping up and down turning the camera on and off. I knew how important it was to capture these stories but I was spread too thin in trying to do it all. Ted and Reb Guthrie were the answer to my prayers. They not only have filmed many of our events and put them on DVD, but have been interviewing many people to capture their stories. Many of you guys don't realize how important this is. These stories are the verbal history of the Penton motorcycle and is some of the glue that will keep the Penton name alive for future generations to enjoy and understand what it was all about.

This is just one of the many "secrets" of the POG that makes it so special.

Alan Buehner
Alan Buehner

Mike Lenz

Al, I want to thank you for all your effort into this organization. Having been involved in Penton and KTM dirt bike shops, lord knows your not doing it to get rich! You were a real life saver for those of us racing ten years ago, before everyone else got into this Penton and vintage deal...and still are for that matter. Some of my fondest memories were being involved in that first Penton only "demonstration ride" (read all-on race) at Mid Ohio (another was going through your basement!). I really enjoyed your "start up" story. All of us should feel very blessed to have been not only involved with the Pentons back then, but to also have been involved in the birth of a great sport in America. Everyone in this group is wonderful.  I only wish I could get to more events and races!
Mike

conrad2

What's this, Al on a computer??  Does he have email?? WOW.
We need to see some ID to make sure that it is really him.

Does this mean that palm trees are going to start growing in Cleveland??

Seriously Al, Thanks for everything you have done for the Penton brand
Conrad

Conrad Pfeifer
1972 Penton Six Days
Conrad Pfeifer
of Mars PA, Home of The Paul Danik Presidential Library

ALB

Thanks for the kind word guys.
Here's my id card to prove it is me [:o)].

Actually there are palm trees growing in Cleveland, in the city's greenhouse. And they even have a couple of banana trees.

I did not post this story to brag about my life and what I have done with the POG. I did it as an example of how life works.
     My involvement with the POG came about because my love of trail riding my Penton was dashed when I was banished from my last trail riding area and I just re-directed that energy in helping bring fun, joy, and excitement into all of our lives.

It's amazing when you look back on the history of your life and realize how we affect other people's lives and how they affect our life. In looking back at my life, if my freind Rich did not buy that 100cc Honda - I probably would not have been involved with motorcycles and would not be writing this today.
     If Paul Danik would have just grabbed all of the Sachs parts at that first swap meet instead of educating me what that stuff was all about - I would not have pursued buying old dealer inventories and turning it into the parts business I have today.
     If John Penton had said no to my request to do autographs at Mid-Ohio in 1997 - There would most likely not have been a POG - and if there was it would not be a great and wonderful as this one is.

When the July Vintage Days event in 2000 was over, and the POG experienced a successful display as Feature Marque, Paul and I talked about how what a great display that was. We wondered how that could ever be topped by any other future POG event.
    Well, that event was topped by this year's 40th anniversary celebration event.
     The POG is on a roll and more great things are going to happen in the future because of the drive, dedication, joy, and excitement  that all of us POG members have - not just a few people running a show. And this energy extend beyond the POG to other organizations. :D

Alan Buehner

Alan Buehner