Front Shocks 420mm

Started by Koen Cuypers, January 11, 2009, 10:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Koen Cuypers

Has someone an alternative for the following type of front shocks?
These were used on a Hercules 125, DKW enduro, Penton Cross country. The length is 420mm.

Larry Perkins

Progressive has some fairly affordable ones in that length in the Setes 13 shocks.  I have a used set of these in that length(16.5") that were on a TT600 Yamaha if you are interested.  I am sure Works Performance can make some too but they are higher priced.

Larry P

Koen Cuypers

It is important that the rings of the spring not to come down.
The spring don't touch the center of the wheel!
It should be thinner at the bottom with a piece without rings.

Larry Perkins

Sorry, I guess neither of these will work then.

Larry P

Koen Cuypers

In this picture, you can see clearer the problem with the center of the wheel.

linglewn

Koen,
The OEM front shocks, at least on the DKW, are BOGE. I don't know if they are still available, but they do show up on ebay occasionally. They don't have the sheet metal sleeve over the top of the spring as do the ones in your photo.

Nelson Lingle
73 Jackpiner
71 DKW 125
Nelson Lingle
73 Jackpiner
74 Jackpiner
71 DKW 125

Koen Cuypers

Thanks, the sheet metal sleeve over the top of the spring is not necessary.
These were only used in military versions.
I try looking behind the "Boge" shocks.

I'm not sure if it is possible to use ordinary 16.5" twin shocks (typical for rear suspension) use for this?
I suspect that the original shock absorbers have a softly suspension.
...Perhaps because they are worn out[?]
Koen

linglewn

Koen,
I suspect you are correct about the front shocks being "softer" than the rears. On the stock shocks, the front springs are made from a smaller diameter wire that the rears. They also seem to have less dampening. Years ago I used a pair of short rear shocks on the front of a DKW, but moved the lower mounting point closer to the front swingarm pivot point to compensate for the shorter travel, higher spring rate, and increased dampening of the rear shocks. Good luck.

Nelson Lingle
73 Jackpiner
71 DKW 125
Nelson Lingle
73 Jackpiner
74 Jackpiner
71 DKW 125