1971 Six-Days Fork Service

Started by iyaoyas, March 04, 2009, 01:41:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iyaoyas

I am working to disassmeble the inner and outer fork tubes.  Can anyone tell me if a special tool is required to retain the inner fork tube assembly while removing the socket head cap screw?  If a special tool is required does anyone have the dimensional specifications so that I may fabricate my own tool?

Thank you...
Stephen

linglewn

Stephen,
I don't know that anyone makes a special tool, but you can easily make one. Cut a piece of 12mm (I think I used 3/8in) bar stock about 24in long. On one end grind a triangle or square taper. On the other end make a handle or wrench flats for holding. Jam the tapered end into the stop valve tube and unscrew the allen bolt while holding the "special" tool. Good luck.

Nelson Lingle
73 Jackpiner
71 DKW 125
Nelson Lingle
73 Jackpiner
74 Jackpiner
71 DKW 125

john durrill

Stephen,
We tried a new way last time on my forks.
 It might work for you.
  We found 4 Star washers at the hardware store. The type with both inner and outer locking tabs. Just small enough to fit inside the fork tubes. Install one below the fork spring resting on the small tube the allen bolt screws into and one on top of the fork spring.
Screwed down the cap nut all the way and bingo ! we were able to remove the allen no problems.
John D.

iyaoyas

Excellent ideas!  Thank you both for your prompt replies.  Unfortunately for me, I have this issue with both forks...I have a piece of 3/8" bar stock that, with a few modifications, just might do the trick. If this doesn't work I'm sure I have some washers that would work as well.  I could even use a cylindrical spacer in conjunction with the washers to impart more pre-load into the stop valve tube to help constrain it from rotating.

I'll let you know how things turn out...

Cheers-

Stephen M.
'71 Six-Days
'73 Berkshire

Ernie Phillips

If you have an impact wrench you might be able to "zap" it.  Leave the fork assembled as the spring pressure helps keep the damper assembly from turning.  You'll need a long 8mm hex key with either 3/8 or ½ drive.  This has worked for me on many occasions.  I now take a battery powered impact wrench to the races – not for me, but so I can help my less fortunate friends.[}:)]

Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN
Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN

thrownchain

Turn the leg upside down and push the fork leg down to put pressure on the spring. Then use an air tool to get the screw out. Sometimes you don't need the air, but it works 99% of the time.

brian kirby

You can also use a cut off broomstick. Cut it on one end and stick that end down on the damper rod, it will usually provide enough traction to get the bolt loose with an impact.

Brian

'73 Berkshire
Brian

cardojr

Dang, Brian-- you stole my best kept secret. Of course I still use the the super super secret ax handle and ground out "close nipple" to pull my cz clutch springs. Shoot- now that one's out too.
rob

brian kirby

Low tech almost always works, and it doesnt get much more low tech than a cut off broomstick!

Brian

'73 Berkshire
Brian