yellow Bilsteins

Started by tvrc18, March 19, 2009, 10:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tvrc18

Do the old yellow bodied Bilsteins have to be run in the upside position or can they be used shaft on top?
Terry

tvrc18

WOW, read 115 times with out a reply. Did no one use these yellow shocks or no info on correct position?
Terry

firstturn

Terry,
  Back in the 1970's (1974 to be exact) I saw these ran both ways.  I know the fast guys in Houston ran them upside down for less unsprung weight and they worked great.  I did not ever use them as we were using Koni and Zokes.

Conclusion: Run them upside down until I talk to some of the old guys this week.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

tvrc18

rob w

Those were the first shocks I remember seeing that had to be ran upside down from conventional. At least that's what everyone said. Were they not notorious for the dampening being too stiff.

tvrc18

I did notice on Bruce Herbison's fine looking steel tank that was on the home page for quite some time has them mounted in the convential position. I am not sure on the dampening being to stiff, they do seem to be smooth and have a nice feel.
Terry

Larry Perkins

The original gas Bilsteins will pump themselves out of oil and good damping in the traditional upright position.  They were designed to be run upside down.  Unfortunately they were also apparently designed to blow way too soon as we never got a pair through too many races in a forward mount or layed down position back in "The Day".

Larry P

firstturn

Terry,
  Upside down as The Perkins said.  And Larry's description on the quality is correct too.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

tvrc18

Thanks for the input, I am going to use them on a short travel bike, maybe a steel tanker so they might hold up for a short while. I remember they worked good on the 3 to 4 inch travel bikes back then but I never used them sticking with Koni or Curnutts. Now that was a good shock in my opinion, the Curnutts. Would love to have a 13 to 13.5 inch pair of those.
Terry

Mike Lenz

It doesnt matter.  They wont last long enough before blowing the seals that will matter! I have some that need seals.  Anybody rebuilding these with good seals?