Lectron Carb and alcohol

Started by Doug Bridges, May 21, 2009, 10:16:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Bridges

I am  setting up a Lectron carb to run on my bike and I am wondering how much of a problem I will have with alcohol in the gas. From what I have read up on with these the original float bowls sometimes are melted by alcohol in the fuel. I beleive mine is the original clear float bowl. Does anybody have experience with this issue? How much alcohol does it take to do this? Is there any type/brand of fuel that would be less likely to have alcohol in it? I am looking for any Tech/Tuneing info I can find on lectron carbs.
Thanks!

Doug Bridges
76 MC5 125
Doug Bridges
73 Jackpiner
74 Rickman Zundapp
78 Suzuki PE175
82 XR200R

john durrill

Doug,
 Try this site.
http://www.lectronfuelsystems.com/

Al B., Teddy and Speedy can help with the new style float bowl. Yes it would be good to replace the one you have.
 John D.

kevin k

Doug,
I ran  a lectron on my 76 MC-5  for several years
and progressivly noticed the choke was becoming less effective.
After removing the float bowl i found out why.
The inside of the bowl had melted to the point
that the port were the choke tube draw's it,s fuel
was melted shut.
I called lectron and the  float conversion kit for my "old" style carb was going to cost over 100.00  so i just bought a new mikuni for 120.00
Kevin

G Ellis

Doug I have been using the old float bowl on my Lectrons with no trouble. The float coversion is only 84 dollars. I use 93 octane any brand with no trouble. I have been running these carbs for 4 yrs. Hope this will help.  Kevin what do you want for that old lectron? Later Gary

Speedy

Quotequote:Originally posted by kevin k

Doug,
I ran  a lectron on my 76 MC-5  for several years
and progressivly noticed the choke was becoming less effective.
After removing the float bowl i found out why.
The inside of the bowl had melted to the point
that the port were the choke tube draw's it,s fuel
was melted shut.
I called lectron and the  float conversion kit for my "old" style carb was going to cost over 100.00  so i just bought a new mikuni for 120.00
Kevin

Your US $ 100.00 must include shipping from TEXAS to Australia and back to you???:D
For that price I could have send you 2 new floatbowls.:)

Helmut"Speedy"Clasen
 Ontario Canada
http://speedy_c.tripod.com
http://picasaweb.google.com/vindurospeedy
3 x Sachs MC-GS 250-7A
1 x Hercules 350-7A 76
2 x Hercules 250-7A 76
Zuendapp 125 GS 72-73

kevin k

I guess the variable here must be the alcohol content of the fuel we're buying.  I always run either Marathon or Shell 93 octane from the hoosier state  maybe it's a higher mix of alcohol?  Just sharing my experience and yes the conversion "Kit" quote from lectron in Texas was 100.00 shipped straight to Indiana. Bottom line is with the mikuni , issue is solved and i,ve got all the jets already on hand...

Doug Bridges

Thanks for the insight guys. It sounds like I will give it a go with the set up I have. If I develop problems I can always get a new float bowl from Speedy. Thanks for the recomendation of needle size Gary. I got my rebuilt Motoplat back from Vance Smith and I got the bike started up and did a little tuneing on the Lectron on Monday. I have a bit of work to do before it will be ready to ride, but it was very encouraging to hear her run.

Doug Bridges
76 MC5 125
Doug Bridges
73 Jackpiner
74 Rickman Zundapp
78 Suzuki PE175
82 XR200R