Mystery bike.

Started by wfopete, April 26, 2009, 04:27:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wfopete

Ok guys; please help me ID a bike I just bought and tell me about it. The bike sat totally unused since the ISDTRR three years ago and I plan to race it this weekend at the 2 day Qualifier in Combs. After I got the 54 Bing to tickle/prime it took about 6 kicks to start.:)

Frame # 107 33507.  Based off the ID information this would be a 1981 model bike. The engine is air cooled, without a Radial head design, and I believe; piston port. Engine code is the same on the case and cylinder head; both read 84138 006 000. The casting "clock" says 81. The decals say 250 and it has a 54 Bing carb. I would like to know if this is the " new" style motor, I have heard it may be a short production motor.

The fuel tank is plastic and had medal a "KTM" logos screwed into the tank. The bike has lights and a center stand [:0] as opposed to a kickstand.  Forks are 'Zokes and are leaking like crazy. I believe the original shocks were replaced with Fox reservoir units, unless these shocks came as stock equipment.

What can you tell me about this bike, positive or negative? What can I do in 5 days to make it last the weekend? The motor runs strong, what kind of compression reading should it have for a good motor?

I can email pictures if this will help.

Thanks!

Pete Petrick
175 Jackpiner
Slow but Good

Pete Petrick
175 Jackpiner
Slow but Good

Lew Mayer

I can't tell you about the bike but I'm glad to here you're back home again.

Lew Mayer
Lew Mayer

wfopete

Thanks Lew! It's good to be back. I figure I have about 2-4 years before I get deployed again.  

Anyway on the bike, I checked the compression and was able to coax out 170 PSI after six kicks, which is ok for a two stroke.

I jumped to a PV 250 bike to expand my racing classes.  Now I can ride MX on dual event weekends.  My Piner is a good bike but I wanted more power, suspension and class choices.

Pete Petrick
175 Jackpiner
Slow but Good.
Pete Petrick
175 Jackpiner
Slow but Good

tofriedel

Pete,

The engine serial # is located just above and forward of the ignition cover on the right case side.  It should 7 or 8 digits.  If a 250, it probably starts with 54******. a 360 should be 55****** and 400's to 495's are 56******.

A center stand would indicate a GS model.  I believe some models may have had Fox shocks, but Ohlins were on most 81 models.

You may find more information at this site -

http://www.ktm495.mxbikes.com/

Look under the "Parts Manuals & Brochures" section on the left side of the home page.

Tony
Tony

wfopete

Ah! I made a typo on the engine number, it is a 541 (250) motor. The 495 site is great and showed the bike.  Looks like a 1981 GS 250 probably a 6 speed.  Can anyone tell me about ths bike?

Pete Petrick
175 Jackpiner
Slow but Good
Pete Petrick
175 Jackpiner
Slow but Good

tofriedel

Pete,

There are a few guys on the 495 site that have 81 250's that can probably answer any questions you have.  Go to the 495 site and ask away.  They are just as friendly as the POG members.

Tony
Tony