72 6-day Lower rear engine mount

Started by garrettccovington, June 09, 2009, 09:57:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garrettccovington

I've searched the archives for this one and didn't find anything on this.

Is there suppose to be a 1/8 gap between the rear motor mount plate and the engine or am  I suppose to put rubber, metal washers in to fill the gap? I feel just tighting the bolts until the gap is closed will put undue stress on the frame.

3 out of 4  original rear motor mount plate holes were complety worn away.  The engine cases look fine (?).

I've checked 2  good different rear motor mount plates and the gap is the same.  Plus, when I set my original in place you can see the gap would be the same if it had the tangs in place.

G

72 six-day
79 KTM MC80 250

thrownchain

I went out and measured a couple of motors. I get between 78.6mm to 79mm across the flats. The motor mount measures 80mm so there is only a 1mm difference. If you have more than that, and you said the motor mount was worn away, maybe the motor mounts are wore that much. I'd put a washer on the inside of the mount to take up the slack.

Larry Perkins

Back in "The Day" when the mount was worn or more often wallowed out, we welded a washer to the mount which gave a new solid hole for the motor bolt and helped on spacing.

Larry P

garrettccovington

Thanks for the input, Steel washers it is!!!  Fits like a glove!!

G
72 six-day
79 KTM MC80 250