Hare Scrambler Insanity photo display

Started by marsattacks, June 21, 2009, 07:46:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

marsattacks

Even though what follows is of course embarrassing I thought you might find it to be entertaining to read while it rains.

So I decided to flush and change the transmission fluid in my 12/73
Harescrambler yesterday. It over-wintered in an unheated garage and
hasn't been run since Oct or so and I am going to warm it up a little first. I get some fresh pre-mix. Check
the throttle slide and it bottoms nicely. Plunge the enricher, then take a couple easy prime
kicks.  It sputters on the second proper kick and stalls. Next
kick, it not only wakes up, it awakens angrily. Oh no, this
happens on my 350 Sherpa-T once in a while.   Unlike the Spanish
bike, this Teutonic beast will not be killed by a button. And the engine is
now screaming. So I put it into 2nd gear (should have tried for third
or better but honestly there was not much of a chance to do so).

The HS is not having it. We wrestle together to the ground while it sprays gravel.

The engine is still wailing. I wrestle it back upright to try to stall it.  

Not a good plan I guess.

I now have a 220-pound bottle rocket in my hands.

I rocket-ski on dirt for a few feet before the HS wins and I set it free.  Whereupon it kerfs a berm beside my garage.

A noble thing, it won't just topple over.  So it decides to wedge itself upright under the garage roof overhang.

This loamy dirt is nice for a triumphant rooster display, which is what happens next.  Bizarrely, the pressure of the handlebar against the garage wall next forces in the clutch.  You don't have to look too carefully to see the scar of the left grip across the garage wall.

Meanwhile, the sound of this makes my wife very happy.    She has concluded that I have ignited the Mother of all weed-whackers and am finally tackling neglected yard work.

The HS is still going strong and I am resigned to a major lunch of the engine. Stuffing a fleece into the exhaust imperceptibly phases this monster.  I cannot (a) hop on the bike, (b) turn it upside down (c) really do much of anything at this point except pull the plug wire, which the manual says somewhere is a big no-no.  At long last, turning off the gas tap works and it finally sputters and dies.  I will post a few pictures.

So, a couple points:
1.  I assume from research on POG that a bad ignition side seal is a likely culprit.
2.  I guess it doesn't really matter that the throttle slide is closed.
3.  I had been warned of this possibility by those with reason to know.
4.  I am not sure if there is any way to "predict" whether a bike is a candidate for this condition.  I suppose I need to treat them all like shotguns with the barrels closed and assume they are cocked, loaded and ready to fire.
5.  I do not want this to happen with my 400.
6.  Most importantly the only damage was to property, with a bent handlebar and scuffed left grip, in addition to whatever horrible scarring/holing/smearing of the piston/ring/cylinder has occurred.
7.  I guess this engine warrants a top-end tear-down at least (plus the seals). Any reason to assume the entire thing needs to be torn down?
8.  Perhaps a compression release is a way to call and end to a repeat performance.

Click here to see Mars attack:
http://www.ufodigest.com/news/0208/images/marsattacks.jpg
Mars Attacks!
68 Planetary/Lunar Lander (very sadly, sold with Gamma death-ray to the Italians)
78 400 MC5 also sadly sold
79 space rock shox bike

thrownchain

AT LEAST IT STAYED AT THE HOUSE, IT COULD HAVE TAKEN OFF FOR THE NEIGHBERS [xx(]

454MRW

Pentons just like to run! It was probably mad because it hadn't been allowed to frolick in the woods since October. Mike

Michael R. Winter
I enjoy rebuilding and appreciating Pentons!
1974 250 HS Pentons-1980 KTM 175-400'S
Michael R. Winter
I enjoy rebuilding and appreciating Pentons!
1976 Penton MC5 400
1977 KTM MC5 125
1978 KTM 78 GS6 250
L78-79 MX6 175-250 KTM\\\'s
1976-78 125-400 RM\\\'s
2007 CR125R Honda
1977 MC250 Maico
2017 KTM Freeride 250R

wfopete

...and to think some of us spend weeks trying to get our bikes started, let alone have drive it's self.

Pete Petrick
175 Jackpiner
Slow but Good
Pete Petrick
175 Jackpiner
Slow but Good

Mick Milakovic

Hence the name.........SCRAMBLER!

Mick
Mick