Jackpiner pistons

Started by imported_n/a, January 06, 2002, 07:17:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

imported_n/a

I was talking with a gentleman, whom I consider very knowledgeable about Pentons (having sold and serviced hundreds in his lifetime) about pistons for black engine and silver engine Jackpiners.  He is of the opinion that the silver engine pistons have a "short" skirt and, therefore, are not suitable for use in black engines, as the short skirts do not close the port(s) completely if used in black engines.  

Is this a fact or just urban legend?  Any help would be appreciated.

Glenn

Larry Perkins

Yes and no.  72 and 73 engines were black.  74 and 75 engines were silver and had the same topend as the black motor.  The 76 and 77 motors were silver and had a different piston and cylinder.  So as in most legends there is some fact and some fiction.

Mike Lenz

Glenn, check out the discussion on 175 moters in page two of this forum.

imported_n/a

Mike and Larry,
As I'm quite new to this, other than the piston you're bidding on on e-Bay, Mike, where are black engine Jackpiner pistons to be found?  Are the Elko's more desirable than Wiseco, or is it just that the supply of all has been consumed and we're stuck?  What can be done?
Glenn

Larry Perkins

E-mail me with what you need and I will see what I have.

Mike Lenz

They are very tuff to find. Thats why converting to a newer style cyl would be the way to go if its a rider and not a shower.

imported_n/a

Thanks, Mike.  I want to ride, not show.  My goal is to have a Penton running in 2002.  What a learning experience this has been.  Thanks again, Mike, and Larry P.
Glenn