Penton Super-Quiz

Started by OhioTed, July 28, 2009, 09:41:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OhioTed

Here's a really interesting bit of Penton trivia for you-all to take a shot at.  In the Pentons On Pavement story, which I just posted, there is a picture of Bruce Williams, taken in his shop a few years ago.  Who can ID the motor, which is seen on the workbench, on Bruce's left?  

Hint:  It's a really, really important part of Penton history.  

Note, Bruce Williams and John Borer will please refrain from giving the answer away.  Haha.

Tflores

wild guess..........part of a BMW R-69 bottom end
Tom Flores
72 Penton Berkshire
77 Penton GS6 250
77 Penton MC5 250
12 KTM 300XCW
76 Honda XR75
73 Honda CB750K3

3putt

It's the bottom end from a BMW 250 as used in his 62 ISDT entry.   Nelson McCullough

OhioTed

Wow!  Hats off to Nelson McCullough for nailing it.  Tell the truth, Nelson, did you actually ID the R27 by sight, or did you happen to know that Bruce handled engine rebuild-duties on JP's ISDT bike?

3putt

Ted,  I didn't know who Bruce Williams was until reading your Post, but he obviously is a very talented person.   After reading your question, and listening to Mr. Pentons comments about BMW at the VMD Saturday evening POG meeting, I pulled my John Penton Book off the shelf.  I looked at the photos of his BMW 250 on pages 51 and 52 to reach my decision.    

Another short comment, there are so many talented and helpful people associated with this POG Group.   I enjoy every opportunity to be among them.    Regards,     Nelson McCullough

OhioTed

Bruce Williams is indeed a very interesting personality, as well as a skilled mechanic and restorer.  Although Bruce's interests tend toward motorcycles of Tutonic origin, he has been known to dabble in multiple brands such as the Indian twin seen in his workshop, Pentons of course, and has a propensity toward Husky Autos.  I've been fortunate to visit Bruce's special domain and came away much impressed by the variety of machines hidden away, within.  

Of course, those McCullough boys have been known to have some pretty cool motorcycles as well.