Brake drum rebuild?

Started by paul a. busick, July 28, 2009, 04:34:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paul a. busick

The brake drums on my vin racer are getting very worn and are not offering much stopping power.  Does anyone know of someone that is able to resize worn drums ,or of thicker brake linings that  would renew the old brakes to their former powers.  Any suggestions that will help will be greatly appreciated.  No crackes about carrying an anchor please.
See you down Old Dusty,
P.A. Busick

Richard

Your might try Woody Graves in Flordia. 407-416-2021
//www.woodysvintagegp.com

Paul Danik

P.A.

If you have plenty of lining left but the cam is at full throw, you can put a formed metal clip on the cam to widen it and give you more throw.  I remember using them "back in the day", but I can't remember if they were a Hi-Point item or who actually made them up.

Paul

tomale

Paul Several guys here in the NW have used local friction suppliers to rebuild their brakes on their vintage bikes. The result is a better braking than even stock. The reason for this is because of a better brake lining material, the backing plate installed with the new linings are then Arched and third the drum is cleaned up to give a better braking surface. the cost is not much more than a new set of shoes provided by current vintage suppliers... You might be able to find a similar company near you. They are not a motorcycle dealer but deal only in braking materials but maybe willing to help you with your project. I have rode several bikes set up like this and the results are amazing....

Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
76' 250 MC5 (orginal owner)74'
250 hare scrambler (project bike)
Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

SouthRider

Paul -

It sounds like your drum may be worn too much & this won't help - but - if there is any steel lining left -  Like Pauls' suggestion above - we used to take a spare brake cam & put a little brass on it with a brazing rod, then file it down until the shoes fit just right.

We usually carry one stock & one brazed one with us for Huskies. They were notorious for running out of stopping power before the linings were worn out.

Best of luck

Clark
_____________________________________________________________________________________

\\"We the willing, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible, for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, that we are now qualified to do almost anything, with nothing.\\"

1972 Penton Berkshire 100
1983 Husqvarna 250 XC
2011 Jayco 31.5 RLDS
2009 Chevy 2500 HD Duramax

paul a. busick

Thanks for all the input fellas.
I have tried welding the brake cam as well as adding a shim to the face of the cam contact area of the brake shoe. While this does help, it is not the answear to better braking. I think that the best way to go is with the new friction material and grinding the shoe to the new radius of the drum. Now all I need to do is come up with a supplier in my area (Cleveland, Ohio) that can do the work. I'm going to give the fellow in Fl.a call and see if he can be of any service.
See you down Old Dusty,
Paul

paul a. busick

I have gotten intouch with Woody Graves.

He does indeed reline brake drums.  For about $300. he will fit a new liner in your old drum and radius the shoes. He told me that you need to send the whole wheel assembly with backing plate.  It is best to dismount the tire and remove sprocket to save shipping costs. Woody said the best way to ship is via US Mail service.  Cut a couple of heavy cardboard pieces to fit wheel and wrap with plastic pull material.  He said the turn around time was a couple of days.

I'll let you all know how it turns out.

See you down Old Dusty,
Paul

P.S. Dusty says hello to all you POGERS