77 Penton 400 ???

Started by bigdanracer, January 15, 2002, 10:30:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigdanracer

Okay who's the expert on the 77 Penton 400.
I found a 400 for $150 and am going to look at it tomorrow, he says it is clean and is in good condition, only missing the pipe.
What should I be looking for in the way of hidden problems.
Thanks, Dan.

Posting 07/2002
Yucaipa CA.
Age 51, maintenance mechanic, two 77 Pentons, 250,400 MC-5s.

Chris Brown

Hi Dan,
I have the 78 400. Parts can be difficult to get, especially that pipe. And stuff you can find is expensive. You could easily spend a grand or two in a restoration. Reminds me of my buddy that keeps getting free/cheap bikes and finds he dumps as much into them as if he found a complete one in good condition.

Test for spark if the motor turns over. Watch out for rust and corrosion.
The bottom end of those motors are pretty bullet proof, but the top end usually needs rebuilding and that can run $200-400.
Cables, chain and sprkts, shocks, wheels/spokes, tires, just wear parts can run a pretty piece.
Look out for missing parts. Make sure it's what you really want.

They are a ball to ride, light and fast. They are six speeds, and if the ignition still works the motoplat has a lighting coil.
Parts are easy to get to rebuild the bing carb, and progressive has fork springs. Seals are cheap and bearings aren't too bad either. Al and Larry have a lot of hard parts to restore them back to rideable condition.
Let us know what you find.
Chris Brown
So-CAL
KTM400
Jackpiner (sold)
Six Days (sold)

Larry Perkins

For $150 it would be a good parts source for a good 77 MC5.  Many people would be money ahead if they got a good running bike and used the cheapy as a parts source.  The old I will rob this to stay going deal.

Steve Minor

Dan...I bought a 77 400 GS6 brand new and it was a blast to ride. I recently "reclaimed" the same, original bike and I'm rebuilding it. It's true that some parts can be difficult to find, but it's a super bike....I've been able to find most of my replacement parts from the great guys here at POG.

Good luck...

Steve

Steve Minor

Mike Lenz

If you want to buy the bike and ride it I may have a pipe short the silincer which an after market could be obtained.

Dr.2Stroke

I have a pipe looking as new,and ihave a lot of used parts for that 400s,like cylinders ,crank cases,cranks,clutchs,kickstarters,shift levers,heads,carburetors,motoplat ignitions,coils,gas tanks,forks,wheels,brake plates, and new pistons,fork seals,clutch cases,con rod kits,sprockets,chainwheels and Bilstein shockabsorbers.Regards Dr.2Stroke