6-day clutch "axial" Play

Started by garrettccovington, October 06, 2009, 02:42:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garrettccovington

I plulled my clutch cover off to drain the oil on my 6-day.  It looked like pepto dismal.  The bike has been sitting for over 20 years.  Anyways,  I noticed that the clutch assembly wobbled.  I guess I need to shim it up.  wear can I get the shims?

g

72 six-day
72 six-day
79 KTM MC80 250

john durrill

g,
 You may need a new clutch bushing also. Check the parts book and give Al a ring . He had them last time i checked. He also has the shims. Get 2 in each of the smaller thickness's .
John D.

garrettccovington

Good Call, thanks for the info,  I'll add the shims and the bearing to my next order.

G

72 six-day
72 six-day
79 KTM MC80 250

Lloyd Boland

Garrett,
It was good talking to you again at Glen Helen.  I sure hope you get that 6-day running for Competetive Edge next month.  Hope to see you there.

Victor, we missed you at Glen Helen.  Perfect riding weather and track conditions.  Light rained for about 1 1/2 hours during sign- up.  Cleared for practice.  Perfect traction, no mud holes, no dust.  A great day of racing.

Lloyd

garrettccovington

My question is

Is the clutch suppose to wobble? If you grab the clutch basket/gear you can move "wobble" it around 1/16th of a inch.  Is it hard to change the bushing?  What about special tools?

The bike runs fine. I haven't really rode it hard yet. After changing the oil, the clutch lever needed to be re-adjusted quit a bit.

I'm a little nervous about pulling off the clutch, but more nervous about the wobble.  I only have 1/2 of the original 6-day manual and a clymers sachs engine manual I picked up from Vintage Cycles in Yorba Linda CA. I've noticed quit a bit of differences between the 2.

G

72 six-day
72 six-day
79 KTM MC80 250

john durrill

g,
 The bushing is pressed out and then a new one pressed in. You can use a medium  to big vise and 2 sockets to press the bush out and a thick flat washer and a socket to press the new one in.
You will need to take the clutch basket apart to do the bush probably . To re-assemble the clutch basket one of these to get the plates to line up with the clutch hub.

You can take the one you have on the bike now off or get one from someone like Al B and use as a special tool.
http://www.pentonpartsusa.com/4c%20Sachs%20tools.htm
 Its $16.
Look the lay shaft over closely where the bush rides. That's the shaft the clutch is snap ringed on to. It should be smooth with out a lot of wear and not pitted. check out the 3 piece throw out bearing. Make sure the races and balls are in good shape.
Best i can do with out knowing what you have to work with for tools.
john d.

garrettccovington

John

Thanks for the info.

G

72 six-day
72 six-day
79 KTM MC80 250