KTM oil leak

Started by pketchum, October 04, 2009, 11:00:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pketchum

I have a small but annoying problem with the kickshaft seal leaking on my 1980 KTM 250.  I have the PVC bushing that Al Buehener sells installed but it still leaks a bit.  Short of replacing the internal seal and reinstalling the PVC bushing I was wondering if there are any other techniques you may be using.  As I understand it, the seal is 1mm larger than the OD of the kickshaft which makes sealing difficult.  Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Phil Ketchum
Phast Phil
Moderator, Hodaka Owners Group
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Hodaka

Larry Perkins

Phil,

It was not the best idea when they designed it and I have found to keep it good the seal just has to be replaced fairly often.  It helps to be sure the kicker is on as far as you can get it to keep good pressure on the PVC piece.

Larry P

john durrill

Phil,
 I was looking at a 77 parts book tonight . It looks like you should have the pvc bush and an O ring. Part # listed is 0770160030 . It reads in the discription ,   O-ring 16X3 Din 3770. The book also shows the seal in the clutch cover.
 Looks like you need the O ring , then the pvc bush and then the kicker.
That should help some.
john  d.

slvrbrdfxr

Phil,
I agree with John and Larry. There should be an o-ring sandwiched between the PVC bushing and the clutch cover. I've had problems keeping this from leaking a few times too and found it best to get a slightly larger OD diameter o-ring and then be certain the PVC bushing is completely square on both ends. Then install the kickstart lever as Larry suggested onto the shaft as far as possible.
Dave McCullough

pketchum

OK, I think I have an O-ring there still.  Bobby Lucas recently rebuilt the engine and I have only about 1 min. engine run time since.  However, it is leaking pretty profusely, more than a simple rag can handle, thus the oil pan underneath the bike.  I'll double check for the O-ring, replace the case seal, and double check that the PVC bushing is square on both ends (never thought of that!).

Thank you my friends,

Phil
Phast Phil

john durrill

Phil,
 It seems to me that one side of the PVC bush has a bevel. My memory is not that good anymore chuckle chuckle!!.
 The bevel goes towards the O ring as i think about it?
john d.

Kip Kern

John

The beveled steel bush and "O" ring are on the Mainshaft side where the countershaft mates up.  The kicker has the "O" ring and a PVC bush on it to prevent leaks.  I cut my PVC bush a little wider than normal and then when I install the kicker, it forces the bush into the "O" ring harder to prevent a leak.  Hope this helps!  CIAO

pketchum

I pulled the side cover today, removed the PVC busing + the O ring and discovered there is NO oil seal on the kick start shaft any longer, thus the reason for the profuse oil leak. I went to IBT (International Bearing & Transmission) and ordered a 17x23x3 seal which will arrive in 3-4 days (from Tennessee) and purchased a 17mmX3mm metric O-ring.  The kickstart shaft is 17mm.

I just closely inspected my PVC bushing purchased from Al Buehener and there is NO bevel on either side of it.

My parts manual, again from Al Buehner, is circa 1980 shows both the shifter shaft and kick starter shaft use the same O-ring, which is wrong.  The kick starter shaft is larger.  It doesn't show any PVC busing or O-ring.  Perhaps this was an enhancement made after production.

Phil
Phast Phil

454MRW

Phil,
I have a June 1979 engine manual that shows diagram part # 66 for both the shifter shaft seal and the kick shaft seal, but it only indicates qty 1 on the 250 and 400 engines, as opposed to Qty 2 for 125 & 175 engines. There is only an o-ring used on the kicker shaft besides the PVC bushing, as shown on the 250/400 kick starter shaft and lever page, part # 98, but Gary Ellis told me that he usually installs 2 of them in the kicker shaft opening of the clutch cover for better sealing, which has worked well for me in the past. Mike

Michael R. Winter
I enjoy rebuilding and appreciating Pentons!
1974 250 HS Pentons-1980 KTM 175-400'S
Michael R. Winter
I enjoy rebuilding and appreciating Pentons!
1976 Penton MC5 400
1977 KTM MC5 125
1978 KTM 78 GS6 250
L78-79 MX6 175-250 KTM\\\'s
1976-78 125-400 RM\\\'s
2007 CR125R Honda
1977 MC250 Maico
2017 KTM Freeride 250R

pketchum

Really!??

My stolen '79 KTM 250 had a seal on the 17mm kick shaft as well as a seal on the 14mm shift shaft?  I thought the parts manual was in error.  I'll try the 17X23X3 seal + O-ring + bushing and post the outcome.  Thanks to all for your input.  This really is a great group!

Phil
Phast Phil

pketchum

OIL LEAK SOLVED!

The 17x23x3 seal had to be sanded down to 22mm to fit.  I also installed the 17mm O-ring + PVC bushing but think they were unnecessary.

I was thrilled to see my garage floor was spotless the next morning.

Phil
Phast Phil