Penton 175 for sale: What's it worth?

Started by farmer58za, November 12, 2009, 03:05:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

farmer58za

Hi All
I came across a 1974 Penton 175 for sale. Complete, original and unrestored. Comes with the owners book and tool pouch. 1600 miles on the speedo but the bike is certainly not pristine.
The Motoplat failed sometime in the '70s and the seller bought another one new from penton imports. Still in the box.
Seller asking $1400. What should I be paying for such a bike?

I have photos but I'm unable to post them here. If anyone wants to see you can send me an email and I'll send them to you.

Thanks in advance
David

Regards

David
'75 KTM GS250
'75 KTM GS400
Regards

David

tofriedel

David,

Simple answer, if you want it, it is worth $1400.  

You might find a cheaper bike, but need more attention that the one you are looking at.  Therefore, the cheaper bike may cost you an additional $200,$300, or $400 more to get correct, then again, maybe not.

Only you can answer your question.

Tony
Tony

joe novak

Hello,  I agree with Tony.  If YOU want a 1974 Penton 175, this is a good choice.  74 is a good year if you ever vintage race.  I believe 74 is the last year of motorcycle which is allowed, normally.   The 1974 model has some good features which make it desireable.  35mm forks, I think high-breather frame, and other refinements.   The price on a new ignition can be several hundred dollars plus, and one is included in the deal.  It sounds like an unmolested Penton.   They can be hard to find.  Be sure the engine is not locked up.   It can be repaired, but may be costly.                                 What would you do if your house was on fire?  Would you have to think, or just ACT?  Let us know what you decide.   joe