1973 250cc Hare Scramler - Enduro

Started by DataPlace, November 12, 2009, 03:46:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DataPlace

My father-in-law and I are working on his 250cc Hare Scrambler. The ID nos. are as follows:  Engine – 54 30 003 010; Frame – 5430967853. I've read other messages about the engine color - this has black cases with the unpainted top end.

I am trying to understand what front fender it had on it originally - aluminum or white plastic and the size/type of the rear and front tires.  Was the exhaust side - side plate plastic or fiberglass?

Also the Handles bars are chrome with no crossbar. Was this original?

Also what are the best rear shocks to use that are original and for 200 lbs rider?

Thank you
1973 - 250 Hare Scrambler

rfpotter

You mention reading other messages, so I assume you have used the "search" feature for the board. If not it can answer many questions quickly.
Also the "Production Years" feature on the front page is useful, and don't overlook the extensive photo galleries.

Patrick Houston
Tennessee

Larry Perkins

The number you have listed as the engine number is a part number.  The engine number is on the cylinder down low just above the ignition.  According to the frame it is a early 74 model because of the September 73 date on the frame.  The motor number would be better to confirm this with.  It would have had white plastic fenders and originally would have had Metzler tires.  It would have had a fiberglass pipe side numberplate.  It probably has the Hipoint chrome enduro bars on it as they were very popular and had no crossbar.  The best shocks for the money if you are going to ride it are Progressives.  If you want it to look like the Girlings then go with Falcon but they are lame performance wise.

Larry P

DataPlace

Larry:
Thank you for the response and great information. I will get the engine number. Dataplace

DataPlace

Quotequote:Originally posted by Larry Perkins

The number you have listed as the engine number is a part number.  The engine number is on the cylinder down low just above the ignition.  According to the frame it is a early 74 model because of the September 73 date on the frame.  The motor number would be better to confirm this with.  It would have had white plastic fenders and originally would have had Metzler tires.  It would have had a fiberglass pipe side numberplate.  It probably has the Hipoint chrome enduro bars on it as they were very popular and had no crossbar.  The best shocks for the money if you are going to ride it are Progressives.  If you want it to look like the Girlings then go with Falcon but they are lame performance wise.

Larry P

DataPlace

Larry:
I now have the engine number for the 250cc Hare Scrambler I was discussing with you. It is - 3-5400812. Does that help nail down the manufacturing date? Thank you again, Dataplace

Larry Perkins

It is a late 73 built but most likely sold as an early 74 bike.  It would have probably had the larger kick shaft like the 74 and later had.  Is the tank yellow or red?

Larry P

DataPlace

It is a late 73 built but most likely sold as an early 74 bike.  It would have probably had the larger kick shaft like the 74 and later had.  Is the tank yellow or red?

Larry P

DataPlace

Larry P

Larry:
Thank you. It has an Orange colored tank. Could you also recommend where to purchase a set of rear shocks...that are meant for riding enduros, dual sport, etc.

Larry Perkins

AMS in Arizona sells Progressive shocks.  Their website is amsracing.com

Larry P