Jim McCabe RIP

Started by OhioTed, December 02, 2009, 06:28:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OhioTed

It has been reported that long-time Maico enthusiast Jim McCabe has passed away.  Mr. McCabe will be remembered for his unique wit and creative and exciting Maico restorations and modifications.  A special and charismatic individual, Jim will be greatly missed.  
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VfjahmfmAU

JCHubbard

I never had the pleasure of meeting Mr. McCabe, but I did get a chance to read everything he posted on the Maico site at yahoo. He was nice folksy kind of guy who possessed an astounding wealth of info about Maico history, Maico engineering, and repair. The video says it all. He will be missed!

JC Hubbard
2008 KTM 250 XC
1985 Husqvarna WR 400
1984 Maico 250 SC
1983 Husqvarna WR 250
1979 Maico 250 GS
JC Hubbard

Joe Murphy

A great man that spent quite a bit of time with advice on Maico restoration talk with me.  He will be missed as a great ambassador of the motorcycle life.  I Hope that his motor made of three Maico 490's  runs in Heaven.
Joe Murphy

Paul Danik

I am very sorry to hear about Jim.  His booth at VMD is just down the street from Pentonville and there always seemed to be some good times going on in his camp. I remember when Super Hunky paid him a visit and checked out the 3 cylinder Maico, what a couple of characters.

God Speed Sir.

Paul

Kip Kern

Jim passed Tuesday, December 1st, from illness.  His guest registry is at //www.myersfuneralhomes.com.  I had the pleasure of knowing Jim most of my adult life and working with him for the last 10 years.  An accomplished Pilot, Engineer, Mechanic and amazing motorcycle rider, he had quite a history.  Jim was well versed in Maico way back to the 50's and was also very knowledgeable in anything British with 2 wheels.  He is survived by his 3 sons and 1 daughter, he will be greatly missed.

Mike Lenz

tomale

I enjoyed reading what jim had to say, I am sorry I never got to meet him, Too many great guys, too little time. Rest in piece Jim.

Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
76' 250 MC5 (orginal owner)74'
250 hare scrambler (project bike)
Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

Charles Gresham

Thoughts and prayers sent to his family
1974 Penton 250 Hare Scrambler
1976 Penton GS6 125
1974 Yamaha MX100
1973 Honda CL 100
1978 Suzuki RM 125
1983 Honda XL 185
1993 Yamaha RT 180

ALB

I had the pleasure of knowing Jim throughout the past 15+ years through Will Stoner's swap meets. He was generally the first person I would see at these meets. He was blessed with the gift of gab and was very knowledgeable about any topic of discussion - especially Maicos.

His tie-in with us Penton enthusiast was that he rode with (against) John Penton at the Jack Pine and other enduros. He would tell his stories about these events and how John was able to win time after time.

The past couple of years were tough on him. His hips were wore out making it difficult for him to get around and he was working on getting his hips replaced to take care of the problem.

Jim will be missed by all of us vintage dirt bikers. He was in a catagory all by himself and he made the swap meets interesting. It's too bad that he couldn't get that 3 cylinder Maico running, but then again maybe it's a good thing that he didn't since he was the only one crazy enough to try riding it.

God speed Jim.

Alan Buehner

Alan Buehner