Shaping Seat Foam

Started by Mike Lenz, December 08, 2009, 11:41:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Lenz

I am goint to try and reshape seat foam from a 81 KTM for use on a 77 GS-6.  It is very similer except I will have to cut more out for the rear wheel cut out.  Any suggestions would be appreaciated as I have never attemped something like this before.
Thanks!

sixdazed

Hi Mike,Do you still have your electric turkey carving knife out from thanksgiving?Mark where you want to cut on both sides and on top with a magic marker,i use the carvivng knife to make the first cuts,(go slow it's easier to take more off than add it back[:p])then after it's shaped i use a belt sander to start smoothing then finish it off with my electric palm sander with fine sandpaper to totally smooth.If you take your time with the knife and cut nicely you won't have to sand much,which is good cause the foam makes a mess.If you end up having to add foam you can cut the piece off an extra old seat,use spray adhesive to bond it to the foan your working with and blend/shape with the sander.I'm sure there are other ways to do this,but this is what works for me. Take Care,
                                              Ric

ric emmal
Ric Emmal
Pentons Rule!
5 125 steel tankers
10 cmf 100/125
2 Mettco 125
1 Penda
2 jackpiners
2 harescramblers
5 Herc 7 speeds
1 Tyran 125
1 Ktm150xc
1 Honda crf450x
1 Honda sl70
1 Hon cr125 77
1 Yam pw80
2 Yam yz125d
1 Suz pe 175
1 Suz rm85
1 Mz250
3 Sachs/dkw 125
1 Hon cb700sc
1 Aprillia RC50
Most in progress..                      so many projects-so little time...

Gary Roach

Hi Mike,

I use a 4½" side grinder with a flap disc on it.

Gary

Mike Lenz