Pistons ? NOS or Wiseco

Started by bigdanracer, January 22, 2002, 10:20:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigdanracer

Okay what is a better Piston or value.
I see original pistons going for up to $190 on E-Bay and Wisecos going for $120. Are original pistons that much better ?.
I need a first over for my 77 400 MC-5.
Thanks, Dan.

Posting 07/2002
Yucaipa CA.
Age 51, maintenance mechanic, two 77 Pentons, 250,400 MC-5s.

Chris Brown

Dan,
If you can get a Mahle piston, do so. Some of the early Wiseco's had a poor alloy composit and would swell when the bike got hot and sieze. I thought I was getting a Mahle with a new barrel and it turn out to be a Wiseco. To top that it had a bent skirt, like someone had dropped it. Still ran good, but I wonder if one day it will let go of itself.
I was told be several sources to run 3 thousandths instead of 2 when setting up a new Wiseco to allow for extra expansion. Al Beuhner was one of those sources.
You may find it impossible to get a Mahle in 2nd over. They are/were the most popular. You can always get a 3rd over or 4th and bore for it. That would just limit the number of times you can "freshen" the top end. BTW, those things are bullet proof. I tore mine down after a couple of seasons of riding to de-carbon and mic it out for wear. Almost no wear at all. One day I could put some new rings in. Always rattles a little though 'till it gets good and hot. Runs like a stripped-a__  ape. Throws big rocks too. Riding buddies say "stay back from that one".
Chris Brown