Started by tim bowers, December 20, 2001, 02:21:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tim bowers

Does anyone have a frame and swingarm for a
1974 Mint 400? I have wheels and stuff to
complete one if I find one.
Thank You.......

DKWRACER

I have a 75 frame which can go either PV or Vintage due to the unique ability to position the rear shocks in the upright or laid down position, will have airbox too, it should be comfortable with a 400 motor..

[email protected]

Thomas Brosius

tim bowers

Can you contact me by e-mail at,
[email protected]
I can get your location,price ,etc. then.
Thanks
Tim

Larry Perkins

Be sure that the frame you use is at least a 54 series which should have the beefier gusset.  The serial # should start with 54 or 55.  A 1975 175 frame(52 series) won't hold up under the stress of "hard" riding with the 400 motor.  Not trying to goof anybodies deal up just would hate to see probs later.

DKWRACER

Larry, thanks for the heads up on 54/55 series frame!!! Never one to turn a bad deal either...
Tom Brosius

Thomas Brosius

Mark Annan

Larry,

What are the differences between the 175, 250 and 400 frames for '74?  What does the heavy duty gusset look like?  Do you have a part number for the various frames?  One of my local salvage yards has some Penton remains and I'd like to ID them if I can.  

Thanks,  Mark

tim bowers

Yeah, Thanks Larry,good point, Tom already e-mailed me
and said he would check for the 54/55
frame stamping. Thanks to all you honest
guys out there!!!!
Merry Christmas to all!!!!!!
Tim

dave

I have a 74 250 swingarm and front forks.I am not sure about the frame might have been tossed years ago? Forks and swingarm are barely used and in good shape if you can use them let me know at [email protected]

tim bowers

Dave, get a hold of me at:
[email protected].
Let me know what you have for sure and
a price and if you have pics.
Thanks
Tim

Mike OReilly

In reply to Mark's question: the gusset in question was a bracket which circled around the bottom of the lower portion of the steering head and extended down the two downtubes of the frame, reinforcing the whole area. If it is on the frame (or vice versa) it will be obvious.
I was at Penton in 1975 sometime and was invited back into the R&D department. Whoever it was that was there at the time had a supply of these brackets, loose, and gave me one for my Jackpiner. So what I now have are a "52" frame with the gusset...and a "54" frame which must be a fairly early frame and which does not have the gusset. I have ridden that "54" frame in AHRMA motocross on and off for the last five years and the frame seems to holding up OK. (Being aware of the fact that someone, somewhere felt the need for this re-inforcement, I have kept an eye on this part of the frame).
Of more general interest, I think that this gusset is a great example of the constant and ongoing evolution evolution of the Penton/KTM motorcycles. It would appear that this part probably originated in the American R&D (given the fact that they were available loose in Lorain Ohio) and then found their way back to the production line in Austria. At that point I suspect that the improvement was incorporated on the next bike down the line. This kind of points out the folly of people who ask: "I have a Penton with such and such kind of rims or whatever, so what year is it?" Well, the answer lies more in when it came down the line than what is on it.

Mike Lenz

Tim, I have a 74 400 frame all painted up, swarm bearings ok, ready to go. I am looking for a set of 74 forks. You need a frame, I need forks. Maybe between Dave,me and you we can both get what we need. You can email me at ML851@aol,com if interested.

mikey

if someone doesn't take the forks let me know..looking for a set of 35's.tx

Quotequote:
I have a 74 250 swingarm and front forks.I am not sure about the frame might have been tossed years ago? Forks and swingarm are barely used and in good shape if you can use them let me know at [email protected]

tim bowers

Hey Mike, Sorry it took so long to answer
back, but I will be needing these forks
to go with the frame Tom sold me. If I find
some more I'll let you know. I forgot I posted on this side of the site too! ANyone
have a spare 400 motor in good shape?