AA/Pros vs the rest of us

Started by brian kirby, January 07, 2010, 12:03:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brian kirby

Last Sunday I did an 8 hour team race in Atlanta. KTM had two teams, Yamaha had two teams, Husaberg had one team, and Kawasaki had a team. The two KTM teams were Russell Bobbitt and POGs own Cory Buttrick, the other team was Kalib Russell and Steward Baylor. Now, as some of you know I'm not slouch, but I have a short clip of Cory Buttrick and Kalib Russell passing me late in the race.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ij5eRH0EfI

I heard then coming and waved them by to my left. They went by me so fast I look like I am tied to a tree. Just when you start feeling your oats and think you are fast, one of those guys will go around you and drive home how slow your pace really is. :D

Cory and Russell got second to Kalib and Steward by only 7 seconds after 8 hours of racing.

Brian

'72 Berkshire
Brian

Jeff D

Hey Brian,
I know you are thinking about doing the qualifiers this year.  Speaking from experience (having done a couple in the past), the ISDE guys are really amazing to watch in the woods.  I get to see them for 2 or 3 seconds at a time as they pass me and disappear into the woods ahead!  I tried to hang on their back fenders, take the same lines, etc, but quickly found myself WAAAY over my head!  Hopefully you'll do better than me!

Jeff DeBell
Jeff DeBell

brian kirby

Jeff,

Getting your doors blown off by those guys has a tendency to make you reevaluate your goals. :D

I'll probably still submit a LOI and ride my '84 KTM125 to get some press for vintage racing, but I never really had any illusions that I might qualify.

Brian

'72 Berkshire
Brian

Tahitian_Red

Brian,

You passed one guy like he was standing still. :D

Racing the "FaltaNator" in 2010
Racing the \\"FaltaNator\\" in 2011?

brian kirby

Jay, It looks like he was standing still because he was standing still! On the other hand, I was going as fast as I could go on my fastest lap of the day when they passed me.

Just in case anyone is interested, here is a link to all 5 of my laps.

http://www.motionbox.com/filings?folder_id=77163577

Lap 1 the ground was frozen solid, I pick up the pace in later laps. Lap 5 (my third lap) is only 5 min long because I hit a limb with the camera and knocked it out of the mount. The camera is crooked in the last two because I did not check the alignment when I put the camera back in the mount. I'm riding my YZ125 in the 40+ class.

Brian

'72 Berkshire
Brian

Charles Gresham

Man, I should have come out !! In my backyard... what track was that ?

1974 250 Hare Scrambler
1974 Penton 250 Hare Scrambler
1976 Penton GS6 125
1974 Yamaha MX100
1973 Honda CL 100
1978 Suzuki RM 125
1983 Honda XL 185
1993 Yamaha RT 180

brian kirby

Charles,

I mentioned the race to you in another thread, I guess you missed it. It was in Social Circle, GA on private property right off I-20. It was 20 degrees at the start and never got above 32 all day.

Brian

'72 Berkshire
Brian

David Laite

Brian don't forget these people race for a living. Funny I knew it was a YZ as soon as I heard it, and it looked and sounded as if you had trouble hooking up the rear wheel on several occasions. That looked like a good Jackpiner course too! Granted we're not going to keep up with the Husabergs and Gas Gas however I think the Pentons are excellent woods machines. Thanks for posting the videos.

1973 Penton Jackpiner
1982 Yamaha XT200
1982 Yamaha XJ650J Maxim
1987 Yamaha YZ490
2005 Honda CRF450R
1973 Penton Six Day
1973 Penton Jackpiner
1982 Yamaha XT200
1982 Yamaha XJ650J Maxim
1984 Husqvarna 400WR
1987 Yamaha YZ490
2005 Honda CRF450R

brian kirby

I was having a lot of trouble hooking up the rear tire on the frozen dirt. Next year I will have some old tires studded up for this race.

Brian

'72 Berkshire
Brian

wfopete

Most of us can relate. My first pro level humiliating experience came at the 1979 Jackpine 400 when I found myself on very tight Michigan single track.  All you could see was a tiny four foot long strip of dirt before the ferns covered the trail again.  All of a sudden a rider goes by me so fast I didn't even hear him coming. How we shared the same trail, I don't know. I got a quick glance at the back of his jersey before he disappeared. It read something like...Burleson. He was gone has fast as he came, leaving only a breeze and myself alone in the ferns.

Pete Petrick
175 Jackpiner
Slow but Good
Pete Petrick
175 Jackpiner
Slow but Good

Don Roth

Cory has ridden a few of our local HS events, and the only word I can
use is 'dancing' Most riders slip-sliding in the SE Ohio mud, paddling like crazy with their feet, Cory  just flew past the bottlenecks, on his pegs and SMOOTH. The good guys make it look so easy. Sorta like
good downhill skiers, effortless and graceful.
Back to dancing with the snowshovel, stay warm all.

garrettccovington

These race posts are the best.  I am amazed everytime I see one.
G

72 six-day
72 six-day
79 KTM MC80 250

Gary Roach

Speaking of Cory B., here are some photos and a very short video from a KTM photo shoot at Glen Helen Raceway.

Kailub Russell took this video with his cell phone, so the quality is not that great.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1T-EIozYENg&feature=player_embedded

The first photo is the one they are going to use for his posters. KTM was at first reluctant to use the photo because Cory had the bike leaned over so far and almost horizonal to the ground, that you can't see the sponsors on the side of the bike. But they have since reconsidered the photo since the posters will have all of the sponsors names on it anyway.  

Gary