Old Glen Helen

Started by Lloyd Boland, January 20, 2010, 04:59:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lloyd Boland

Paul's discussion on team races reminded me of a race I did in 1973.  It was the same location as the current Glen Helen racetrack, but it wasn't called Glen Helen back then.  When they dropped the flag, you had to run about 50 yards to the bike, start it and go.  I was so tired from running in those boots I could hardly kick the bike over.  You wore a banner around over one shoulder that wrapped around the other side of your waist.  When your would come in to switch riders, you had to exchange the banner with your team member.  I hadn't thought about that race in years.  

Does anyone remember what the name of the track was before they called it Glen Helen?

Lloyd

sixdazed

Arroyo Cycle Park...i raced a CMC race there once in 72 or so.
                                                                 Ric

ric emmal
Ric Emmal
Pentons Rule!
5 125 steel tankers
10 cmf 100/125
2 Mettco 125
1 Penda
2 jackpiners
2 harescramblers
5 Herc 7 speeds
1 Tyran 125
1 Ktm150xc
1 Honda crf450x
1 Honda sl70
1 Hon cr125 77
1 Yam pw80
2 Yam yz125d
1 Suz pe 175
1 Suz rm85
1 Mz250
3 Sachs/dkw 125
1 Hon cb700sc
1 Aprillia RC50
Most in progress..                      so many projects-so little time...

Lloyd Boland

Thanks Ric.

The first 125cc Motocross National, held at Arroyo Cycle Park in 1973 (now Glen Helen), was won by which Penton rider?

(I just learned this today.)

Lloyd

jeff greenberg

Could that be a racer named Ray Lopez?  I was under the impression that the first official 125 national was at the original Hangtown in Plymouth, Ca. April 8th, 1974? This was a race that I participated in. Drove all the way out from Ohio with a buddy as a 16 year old. Yikes !
Jeff

firstturn

Ray Lopez.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

Larry Perkins

It was indeed Ray that won at Arroyo.

Larry P

Lloyd Boland

Yes, it was Ray Lopez.  I was just on "The Early Years of Motocross Museum's" web site.  This is the museum set up by Tom White of the White Bros.  They have a 1973 125 Penton at the museum and a nice little article about the Penton, and Penton riders on the website.  This is were I found out about Ray.  Some day I hope to visit the museum, but it is only open on special occasions.  It looks like a special place.
Lloyd