Mounting Forks

Started by Gordon Brennan, February 21, 2010, 02:21:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gordon Brennan

Probably a stupid question but, ... I have always mounted forks in the triple tree, maintaining the EXACT amount of fork tube showing, just below the fork cap, say 1/16". This method has always worked, and all has gone well mounting the front wheel.

Today, I went through the same proccess, but when I went to run the axle through, the holes didn't line up. In my opinion, not even close.    I ended up loosening the triple clamp bolts, so the forks were loose. Then I lined up the axle bolt and retightened the triple clamps. Now the tops of the fork tubes are not at the same level, in the clamps.

Like I said, probably stupid and doesn't matter, but it's not what I'm used to. Do I leave them this way, or can I make them the same? Were talking probably 1/8". One tube is farther out of the clamp, 1/8" more than the other.

In other words, if I move it, one fork will always be compressed more than the other.
These M P forks suck. Bob G. told me they were junk, and he was right. I have never owned any forks that stutter as they're being compressed like these do.:(

David Laite

Me thinks for some odd reason the forks were'nt extended the same amount wether it be a slight difference in spring rate or oil quantity. Obviuosly the same amount of tube needs to show along the top clamp in order to balance the bike properly.
I usually use a drift to line things up, feed the axle through, tap with a small brass hammer forcing the drift out.

1973 Penton Six Day
1973 Penton Jackpiner
1982 Yamaha XT200
1982 Yamaha XJ650J Maxim
1987 Yamaha YZ490
2005 Honda CRF450R
1973 Penton Six Day
1973 Penton Jackpiner
1982 Yamaha XT200
1982 Yamaha XJ650J Maxim
1984 Husqvarna 400WR
1987 Yamaha YZ490
2005 Honda CRF450R

linglewn

How was the spacing between the fork sliders at the hub? It could be that you have bent fork tubes and you happened to get one or both pointed toward the side rather than to the back or front. This would cause the axle to be misalligned and, if forced, could cause binding of the sliders. Just something to consider.

Nelson Lingle
73 Jackpiner
74 Jackpiner
71 DKW 125
Nelson Lingle
73 Jackpiner
74 Jackpiner
71 DKW 125

Mike Lenz

Sounds like a dampening rod is not properly seated in the fork that is lnger.  The can get hung up and seem thight but are not fully seated.

Richard

Maybe a broken top out spring on the damping rod?

Gordon Brennan

Forks were completely dissasembled, cleaned, washed, checked for straightness and reassembled with new seals and fork oil.
Talked to Bob G. about the forks and basically they're just lousy forks. His do the same.
Thanks for the replies.