Curnutt shocks

Started by dave hussey, December 10, 2000, 10:33:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dave hussey

Does anyone know somone that will rebuild a pair of old Curnutt shocks? My '73 125cc Six Day has a tired pair on it. They are nice looking units and I don't want to get rid of them. They look like they are rebuildable, with the right spanner to remove the cap. They are 1.5 inch diameter, and when extended, nearly 14 inches from eye to eye.
Thanks in advance.
Dave H. #414
dave h.

Chris Brown

My understanding is that the Curnutt Brothers closed their company and there are no parts available anymore to rebuild them.
WORKS PERFORMANCE is the way to go if you're going to really ride your bike, a must-have if you're going to race.
Check out the threads in this forum for alternate shocks that are also available (for a lot less.)
The big advantage of Works shocks is that they work well, plus they are rebuildable. Progressive makes a shock but they are a distant second in performance, and if you blow one you throw it away and buy a new one. A riding buddy had them on his CR250 and it blew a seal and he ended up buying a set of WORKS. I think Progressive's run about $150-$180, and steel bodied dual rate spring WORKS shocks are $285 plus shipping from California. I winced when I heard the price, but there's nothing better.
Progressive does have decent springs for forks, both my bikes have new springs and both work very well. Proper fork oil level is critical for good damping action.
My 2 cents for what it's worth.
Chris

Larry Perkins

The Curnutts were great shocks and are rebuildable.  There is a guy right now on Jeff's Vintage webpage that has partsfor them.  There are a couple of probs with Curnutts.  One a lot of them were long travel shaft which allowed a 1974 4" travel bike a couple of more inches travel.  That was cool then but if you AHRMA race it is going to get you a load of bumper discs on your shock.  The second thing is that I agree with Chris the new modern shocks are superior, will last longer, and parts and rebuilds are no prob.