2010 ISDT series bike

Started by brian kirby, March 22, 2010, 04:02:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brian kirby

I finished the MC5 400 I am going to ride in the ISDT series this year.

I want to thank Gary Ellis for technical advice, Rocket Rod for the excellent Marzocchi shock rebuild kits, and I want to especially thank Mike Winter for the shift drum and forks to fix my transmission. It shifts like a brand new bike now with no popping out of gear.

Brian

'72 Berkshire
Brian

David Laite

Nice going Brian just don't smoke too many AA riders!

1973 Penton Six Day
1973 Penton Jackpiner
1982 Yamaha XT200
1982 Yamaha XJ650J Maxim
1984 Husqvarna 400WR
1987 Yamaha YZ490
2005 Honda CRF450R
1973 Penton Six Day
1973 Penton Jackpiner
1982 Yamaha XT200
1982 Yamaha XJ650J Maxim
1984 Husqvarna 400WR
1987 Yamaha YZ490
2005 Honda CRF450R

marsattacks

Hey Brian that is sweet! I like the way you matched the lower line of the rear fender to the subframe.  I had one of those exact fenders on my 78 MC5-400 and it was tough to get that line correct and still maintain the proper fitment to the bottom of the seatpan.  I'm not sure what yours looks like from the rear but that is where it gave me fits. I received advice that the fender would not last long without a rear loop so I added one. Even then, a fairly moderate ride ripped out two of the conduit brackets that secured the fender to that loop.  The loop also presents its own fitment problems.

A few questions if you don't mind:

Is yours a 77?

Do you have the tank slipped under and secured with the rubber L-bushing or whatever you call it?

What carb set up do you have?

Here is an old pic before I got the fender right (and then I decided to change it to a proper GS fender) and do all sorts of upgrades:

Thanks!!
Mars Attacks!
68 Planetary/Lunar Lander (very sadly, sold with Gamma death-ray to the Italians)
78 400 MC5 also sadly sold
79 space rock shox bike

brian kirby

Believe it or not, matching the curve of the fender to the frame was a complete and total accident! Seriously, I didnt realize I had done that until later but it looks nice. I mulled over the mounting of that fender for a while and what I decided to do was I drilled two holes in each side and bolted the fender directly to the frame instead of the seat. The seat comes off and the fender stays on the bike, and the way I bolted it, it aint coming off. I also used a seat of a 74.5, it slips right on and give the bike one more detail that makes it look like a GS6. I am going to bring the stock seat/fender just in case I have issues with my current setup.

The bike is a '77 with the dual peg mounts. I have the rubber thing that holds the back of the tank down, but the rear of this tank is a little different than the  stock MC5 tank so I took it off and just put two big zip ties. The front slips under the same bracket as the stock MC5 tank, but I had to bend it up slightly so the big tank could slide forward as much as possible. It still makes the seat wrinkle a little, but not much. Its got the stock 38mm Bing on it right now, but I would like to put a Lectron on it soon. The Bing makes plenty of power and the bike is easy to start, but I would like to have the smoother power delivery and increased fuel range the Lectron gives. I figure with a Lectron I can go back to the stock 2.2 gal tank for 1 hour CC races and use this tank for ISDT and longer hare scrambles.

Brian

'72 Berkshire
Brian

marsattacks

Thanks. Bolting to the seat works great for that little mx fender but is ridiculous for the big fender especially when you consider wiring for the taillight. I hope to post a few pics in two months or so when I get the Supertrapp and center stand fixed up. Or I might fit a Hercules can silencer realizing I will further mongrelize my mongrel machine.

Mars Attacks!

Mars Attacks!
68 Planetary/Lunar Lander (very sadly, sold with Gamma death-ray to the Italians)
78 400 MC5 also sadly sold
79 space rock shox bike

JCHubbard

Nice bike Brian. Glad to hear you got all the bugs worked out.

John
JC Hubbard

brian kirby

John,

You know I'm gonna need the big gun if I want to keep Rokon Mike in sight.

Brian

'72 Berkshire
Brian

Britt Boyette

Quotequote:Originally posted by brian kirby

John,

Brian

'72 Berkshire
Big guns make big noise, don't forget your ear plugs!

Britt Boyette
76 400 MC5 (project)
77 250 MC5 (uberproject)
77 Husky WR250
75 Can Am (future flat tracker)
76 RM370
75 Hodaka Road Toad
83 YZ250
Too much of a good thing?
Britt Boyette

77 Husky WR250
76 RM370
06 KX450f flat tracker/ MX racer
09 Kawasaki Versys

MikeMurphy

I might have to come out of retirement to see this BIG GUN roll in the woods.

Brian

'72 Berkshire
[/quote]

Michael Murphy
1976 250 MC-5
And how many ROKONS can I sell you ?
Michael Murphy
Preston Petty Products
1978 400 MC-5
[email protected]

tooclose racing

Come out of retirement?  Was that "retirement riding" I witnessed at Broome Tioga last year, Mike?  For chrissakes, you were already drinking beer when the next rider hit the finish line.  Or maybe you were drinking beer AS you hit the finish line. [8D]

Hey Brian - does that thing have electric start? If so, THEN you might be able to keep Mike's Ski-Doo/Rokon in site. [8)]

Quotequote:Originally posted by MikeMurphy

I might have to come out of retirement to see this BIG GUN roll in the woods.

Michael Murphy
1976 250 MC-5
And how many ROKONS can I sell you ?

brian kirby

I couldnt holeshot Rock-on Mike when I was on my Can-Am 175 with primary kickstart. Since he is "old" I am going to have to bank on being able to wear him out. More likely he will disappear at the start and I'll see him again at the finish.

Brian

'72 Berkshire
Brian