For Sale - NOS Sachs 125 "D" cylinder

Started by rob w, March 19, 2010, 12:33:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rob w

Never used 125 Sachs D cylinder
bore measures exactly 54.0 mm
intake manifold, rubber has a 1" surface crack/ delamination between inner steel and rubber
exhaust port: rectangle to round transition custom machined for better flow

$420 plus shipping
[email protected]
616-550-9268

joe novak

Hello,  Do you have a head for the D cylinder?  I hear that the D cylinder had a special head.   Thank you,  Joe

rob w

Joe, I've never heard anyone ever speak of a "D" model head. ??

Kip Kern

Mill 1mm off the head gasket surface of a original head and you will have a "special head."  "Super Power Sachs Secrets" magazine article back in the day!

Randy Kirkbride

There is a definite difference in the appearence of the 'D' head from the outside, too. Anyone know what tht is?

gooddirt

My late -B- head  casting is a spot on match to the head off my -D-. Are you talking about the ISDT wire hole ?

Randy Kirkbride

No. There is an obvious difference in the casting. Doug W. told me about it a long time ago.

Randy Kirkbride

If this works, here are two pictures of the 'D' head.

Randy Kirkbride

WOW, Huge pictures. Anyway the cast-in post in the center vertical fin is the difference. I don't know what the purpose is. Maybe someone else does???

Larry Perkins

The "D" head was the same combustion volume as previous heads and unmilled but the "D GS" head was milled and combustion chamber reshaped in production.  The same confusion between "D" and "D GS" cylinders seems to remain prevalent yet also.  The only thing really special about a "D" cylinder is that it has a rubber spigot carb mount which aids in adding a larger carb.  Now a "D GS" cylinder is a whole different animal and a decent amount more potent.

Larry P

Gavin Housh

The "D" head has two small holes drilled on each side. They would correspond with two small holes in the top fin of the cylinder. Saftey wire or some kind of tag was put through both holes for ISDT impounded bikes to show that the head had not been removed after the repair period had ended? The fins also have not been removed for the up pipe. This means to me that they were only used on Monark and DKW or other Sachs powered bikes with side or low pipes. I had a head like this in my collection of stuff and it measured .110-.119in. had been milled off (the reason for the .009 difference is that I measured 3 different Sachs Heads to compare with using a depth gauge and they all measured slightly different). The squish band is then re-milled at 14 degrees (13 is stock?) to approximately the same width as stock. Between 9mm and 10mm wide, they also vary(my "D" head it was 9.7mm). The funny thing was that when they milled the head they took so much off that they had to cut away some of the fin too. The little window in the casting is almost nonexistent. Gavin