New Blaine Team Scores

Started by tlanders, March 30, 2010, 05:28:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tlanders

Hey gang, we just posted the team scores on the Calendar and Results page of the AHRMA site: http://www.ahrma.org/results/2010/CC/Team%20Total%20Workbook.pdf . Since some of the riders posted actual scores in the 4500+ range after completing each section and finishing the race, we decided that last years 3600 point score for a DNF rider was not enough. Since current ISDE rules hit DNF riders on a team with 15000 points, we have changed our DNF points to 10000 since our special tests are not as long. I hope this makes sense.

It was a fantastic weekend with great weather and 91 riders on the line Saturday morning.

Make sure you get to Diamond Don's for the year end awards. See you there,

Teddy

Larry Perkins

Ted,

I am not riding these this season but I am curious if the score rule was changed before the race or after?  If changed after this is yet another season with AHRMA changing the rules after the season starts.  If this is the case it is once again an example of one of AHRMA's past problems which is changing things in the middle of the stream.

Larry P

David Laite

Larry NETRA has been doing the same thing, then the scorekeeper lady no-showed and there were no x-ponders.

1973 Penton Six Day
1973 Penton Jackpiner
1982 Yamaha XT200
1982 Yamaha XJ650J Maxim
1984 Husqvarna 400WR
1987 Yamaha YZ490
2005 Honda CRF450R
1973 Penton Six Day
1973 Penton Jackpiner
1982 Yamaha XT200
1982 Yamaha XJ650J Maxim
1984 Husqvarna 400WR
1987 Yamaha YZ490
2005 Honda CRF450R

Ernie Phillips

Larry,

This change and any other changes that Teddy has been involved with in AHRMA CC that I am aware of have been directed toward fairness for the competitors.  I appreciate all his and others hard work in providing us a place to race and relive the old days.  New Blaine was a fantastic event.  Day 2 "Mud Hole" special and all the creek crossings in Test 2 were great.  Hope you can make some of the AHRMA events this season.  Good luck to the Desert Monkies.  -EP

Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN
Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN

Larry Perkins

Thanks Ernie.  I am not doubting that the changes are improvements for riders but curious if they were done before the season started or during.  AHRMA's past method has been to change things in the middle of the stream which is not a fair and even way to do it in my opinion.  I have always contended that the rules should remain constant through the season and changed after.  Otherwise it changes the potetial season plan and the possible winners.  Anyway I was just curious as it does not effect me this season.  It is part of the reason I am riding the modern bike though and as usual with AHRMA and TED when a question gets asked it rarely gets a direct answer.  Oh well.

Larry P

brian kirby

This change was made to the team scoring which really has nothing to do with AHRMA, it is something Teddy does on his own. There was an issue that had to be addressed where it was possible for a person to get a better score for a DNF than for slowly finishing the course. This could not be left the way it was, even if it required changing (for the next race, not retroactively) the rules after the start of the series to prevent it from happening again.

You dont think Casey Folks would change the rules mid season if he found something that needed to be adjusted? I know for a fact he would since I raced his events in the mid-late 80s.

Brian

'72 Berkshire
Brian

Larry Perkins

Brian,

Thanks for the explanation to curb my curiosity.  Could be that Casey would change something if needed but I started racing with him in 1984 and never saw any rule changes in mid stream.  I think he thinks it out before the season perhaps.  Never had that problem with the AMA either.  Maybe it happened and I did not know.  Only with AHRMA have I had a problem with this in what is now my 41st year to race and I really wish they would think more from previous seasons problems before the season starts.  No biggie as it is not my prob for the moment, just hoping for the future.  Hope you have a great season and thanks for the explanation.

Larry P

brian kirby

Larry,

I agree with you that rules changes should normally be done only before or after the season, but occasionally there are times when it has to be done mid stream. This problem had actually been brought up last year, but it was thought to be so unlikely to happen that it was left as-is. I actually argued not to change the rule last season, when in hindsight it should have been changed.

When I referred to Casey, I meant that to be a good thing. He's a smart guy and has been running world class races for 25+ years, but he would not hesitate to adjust a rule mid-season if an unforseen problem came up and that is good. This is only the second year of the Six Day team competition and there are probably going to be more adjustments that will have to be made until the rules stabilize.

Brian

'72 Berkshire
Brian