Wassell / Mudlark

Started by Gary Eaves, April 02, 2010, 04:40:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary Eaves

Being new to the site, I would like to say hi to everyone and also thanks, in anticipation of the help you may be able to offer.

My name is Gary I live in the UK. I am the proud owner of 2 Wassells, the first of which I regularly use in twin-shock trials. The second, I have only recently purchased and in the process of rebuilding. Both machines run the sachs 1251/5A engine. If anyone can help me with the following questions, it would be much appreciated.

I am currently running 12 front, 74 rear sprockets, but can still only really use first gear, it will not drag me in second. Has anyone played with gearbox internals to achieve a better trials gearbox?

Has anyone played with inlet tract lengths (maybe longer),and or ports? Is there any gain in polishing?

I am currently using a Bing 1/24/153 carb on bike 1, it seems to work fine but on bike 2 I am thinking of trying a more modern carb, maybe Dellorto from GasGas 125, any suggestions?

Bike 1 is running the Motoplat mini 6 ignition system, it s3ems to work fine but are there any other options?

I have been told that I matbe should fit a Puch 125 head to up the bhp???

Any other info for this engine regarding trials, would be gladly received.

many thanks

Gary

Lew Mayer

The Puch high compression head will help out, for sure. Never played with gearbox internals but I understand the problem. It's a big jump to second.

Lew Mayer
Lew Mayer

garrettccovington

Welcome to the group.  We've had a lot of new members this year and welcome.
 I wish I could help you with your question.  These are some tough questions.  I'm sure some of the other folks could help you.  

Play around with the web-site and try to do a "search the message board"

Also Look up How to post a Pic.  Trust me you'll want to post a pic and we want to see them.

G

72 six-day
79 KTM MC80 250
72 six-day
79 KTM MC80 250

Glenn Berry

Gary I have installed a puch head on my wassell and helped out the bottom end,but still use first gear in almost all sections.  Welcome to the group.

Glenn Berry
Glenn Berry

Gordon Brennan

I would like to try the high compression head on my 1251/5A Sachs. Where can I find one?
With my Wassell I don't think I could run a 12/74. I'm running an 11/64 now and feel I can't get enough speed out of it to make steep climbs. I actually thought 68 was as high as they went.
I haven't competed with mine yet, as I purchased it last fall. But I will agree with Glenn, after several hours of playing, 1st gear is all I will be able to use, in any sections here in New England.
Again, any help finding this high compression head you are talking about will be appreciated.
Good luck with your Wassell Gary. My favorite things about mine so far are excellent brakes and easy to balance.
Oh Yah, I almost forgot. I love looking at it too.
Send us a picture of yours.

Gary Eaves

Thanks to you guy's for your replys :)

Looks like i'll need to find me a PUCH head!
Glen could tell which head i need,off which motor !
And yes lew,Its a very big jump to 2nd

I will at some point post some pic's of both bikes,when i can
work out how to do it?
I've had enough trouble typing these messages (one very slow finger at a time)

Gordon, thought i was the only one that looking at it
Three things i have done to 1st wassell (that work for me)
1 Replaced the 12" rear shocks with 13" ,this makes it turn tighter
2 Incresed the lenght of front brake arm by 1/2"
3 The clutch now runs with only 6 springs,3 standard + 3 1/3rd lighter which we had made.you only one finger now!!

We had the 74 tooth rear made by talon

Thanks again for your responses
Gary

Glenn Berry

Gary, I can not give you to much info on the puch high compression head. I posted in the wanted section on this site for a sachs high compression head and received a responce for the puch h. c. head.I was told that when sachs h.c. heads could not be found guys would use the puch h.c. heads on thier steel tankers.I am happy with the results and it gives my wassell a unique look.
Good luck, Glenn

Glenn Berry
Glenn Berry

Gary Eaves

Glen, Thanks again for your reply . Any chance of some photos of that head and also the rest of your bike!! I am hoping to make a new , wider Ali  oval tube swing arm , modern 4.00 tires to close to chain and guard, Also just picked up purpose made progressive fork springs.         Thanks Gary

Gordon Brennan

Gary, Tried to email you through the site.
Any chance you could send me your email address. I had a couple questions for you.
Thanks, Gordon
[email protected]

Glenn Berry

Gary,if you go to the photo gallery section of site,click on the 40th/10 pog anninersary 9/10/08, then click first box domo bikes. Then go down 6 rows the 6th picture (2nd to last in row). I had a orange woodsmen tank on my mud lark. You can see the puch head.
Glenn  ps What a great weekend that was.

Glenn Berry
Glenn Berry